Fashion police? (bar ends) + advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
Bar ends + risers : fashion crucifixion? That's what I've heard. Nevertheless, I'm prepared to brave the scorn and the shunning because I want them and they're the only bars I've got...
More seriously, I'm not sure what kind to get, (cheap!), basically between Specialized P1 Overendz or Spec. A1 Dirt Rodz (aren't 'z's cool?). One is a moulded shape and the other is just a bar with a ski jump type end. I basically want a more comfortable (or at least side holding) position, and wondered what youse thought?

Thanks

JM

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I had a cheapie pair of Trans-X alloy bar ends on my GT Outpost. Made life a bit easier for me on hills. The bike was set up for road use, never used it off road so not sure if they'd offer much that way.

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Alembicbassman said:
I had a cheapie pair of Trans-X alloy bar ends on my GT Outpost. Made life a bit easier for me on hills. The bike was set up for road use, never used it off road so not sure if they'd offer much that way.

I mostly use my bike (hybrid) for road use anyway, no real offroad stuff, just your average park / dirt track now and again.

Ignore those who use Macs. If they're comfortable, use them. Don't fall for the fashion.

Heh, thanks :biggrin:

Mr Pig

Ignore those who use Macs. If they're comfortable, use them. Don't fall for the fashion.

Agreed. On long rides it's great to be able to move your hands into different positions, sit more upright and have a stretch and they are also great for pulling on going up hills. In short, they serve a purpose.

I have a pair of alloy Club Roost ones I bought in Halfords. My mate has Specialized ones that are almost identical. I don't think it matters what they are as long as they look ok to you and do the job.

I would imagine that they are uncool because they broadcast the fact that you use the bike on road, bar ends are of little merit over rough ground. I've never cared about what other people think and set my bike up to suit me. I'm not going to suffer discomfort just so that some guy I don't know thinks I'm cool!

Not that anyone would ever think I was cool ;0)

papercorn2000

No longer use them off-road as I have really wide risers! However they are essential on my flat bar commuter - it has pretty narrow bars!

domtyler

Über Member
Most people are tending towards the European style butterfly bars nowadays as they are far more comfortable and offer more hand positions than any other type of bar. This is my bike recently fitted with butterflys:

domtyler

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
they look good, I fancy those.

They are certainly one of the best cycling related purchases I've made, really really good. I got mine from here:

http://cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewer.asp?categoryID=133

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
domtyler said:
Most people are tending towards the European style butterfly bars nowadays as they are far more comfortable and offer more hand positions than any other type of bar. This is my bike recently fitted with butterflys:

:smile::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: I think I would prefer bar ends on a riser ;)

JohnRedcoRn

put bar ends on my hybrid , i heard it would help me climbing - turned out to be true. also, gives me choice of positions on longer rides when getting tired, sore.

Most people think butterfly bars are an abomination and that bar-ends on riser bars are the work of Satan. Bar-ends are a hill-climbing aid not a 'comfort' accessory for pootlers.

There, I've said it.

Insert winky smilie here.

Top Bottom