Fast food, becoming a ripoff ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Into town early yesterday, to hopefully miss the crowds, fancied a snack mid morning, popped into MacDonalds for a sausage bacon and egg McMuffin and a couple of hash browns.
Tea later that day cooked a 12oz sirloin (cut in half, enough for both of us), 2 packs of stir fry, some egg noodles and a couple packs of stir fry sauce.

McDonalds cost for a snack, £9.95 iirc.
Steak and stir fry, a proper enjoyable meal, circa £8.25.

Dont get me wrong, I like a McDonald once in a while, but the prices seem to be getting silly.
My wife reckons I'm getting tight.

winjim

Smash the cistern
How many people did it take to cook your steak and how long? Who washed up? How much gas, electricity and water did you use? How much is your rent? Who cleans your toilet? etc etc...

winjim

Smash the cistern
Does anyone know if you pay VAT on takeaway food these days? I remember when fast food places had two different price lists.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
How many people did it take to cook your steak and how long? Who washed up? How much gas, electricity and water did you use? How much is your rent? Who cleans your toilet? etc etc...
Oh I get that, the operating costs etc etc, but at the end of the day, its low quality food as a whole. Nothing wrong with that in itself, as said, I enjoy it once in a while, but have they started to milk us all ?
Ultimately, nearly a tenner for two snacks of moderately low quality food seems too much. They dont see that much of me anyway, they'll see less in future. Better value food out there.
(Deep down, I dont think about myself as tight, but I do weigh up what I'm getting for my money)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Fast food always has been expensive, if you want better value cook it at home.

Broad rules of thumb;
-Served in a restaurant or kept hot 20% VAT
-Warmed and allowed to cool zero rate VAT
-Classed as a luxury item 20% VAT.

Many a court case to determine definitions, some major ones such as;
-JaffaCakes
-Pastie tax
-Protein flapjacks
-Subway sandwiches.
-

winjim

Smash the cistern
Broad rules of thumb;
-Served in a restaurant or kept hot 20% VAT
-Warmed and allowed to cool zero rate VAT
-Classed as a luxury item 20% VAT.

Many a court case to determine definitions, some major ones such as;
-JaffaCakes
-Pastie tax
-Protein flapjacks
-Subway sandwiches.
-
I have a very very strong suspicion that the 'luxury' classification is nonsense.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Tea later that day cooked a 12oz sirloin (cut in half, enough for both of us), 2 packs of stir fry, some egg noodles and a couple packs of stir fry sauce.

McDonalds cost for a snack, £9.95 iirc.
Steak and stir fry, a proper enjoyable meal, circa £8.25.

I'm surprised you can get all that for £8.25.

Top Bottom