Fast heartbeat after ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Went for a ride yesterday evening, 38 miles and 2700 feet of climbing. I've done plenty of miles this year, about 2500 km, but this was my first club ride this year so found it quite tough. It wasn't the longest or the lumpiest ride I've done this year by any means though. I also didn't drink enough and wasn't feeling 100% before the ride anyway. I got back about half 8 feeling knackered and went to bed soon after. However, I couldn't get to sleep until about 12 because my heart was beating faster than normal from when I got back to when I eventually got to sleep. I've had palpitations and rapid heartbeat a few times before, once because of some medication and few other times because of stress. I've never (that I can remember) had a rapid heartbeat for as long as four hours after a ride. Anyone else experienced anything similar? I've had ECGs in the past when I've had rapid heartbeat because of new medication, and the doctors were happy with my heart then.

Nope. Probably a good time to visit the doc.

Sixmile

Veteran
Yea, I would almost daily have palpitations and changes in my heartbeat. I would notice it more at night when lying still in bed but have experienced it throughout the day, going to or sitting in work. I've had the ECG's, treadmill test and a few scans but nothing untoward was found. They said it wasn't normal to have such regular and a degree of pain every day but because nothing was found, that was it.

Definitely talk to your doctor about it.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I think fast heartbeat can related to stress so it's possible I guess that because I was knackered from the ride, the stress of that give me a faster heartbeat for a while. I remember having a fast heartbeat for a while before a job interview as well once. I should add, that this morning my heartbeat is absolutely normal.

huwsparky

Über Member
My heart noticeably feels like it beats faster after a hard ride too, for a good few hours, never really though anything of it, don't feel like I'm gonna die or anything, just an observation.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Your fingers and a watch can work quite well, so the question how much higher than normal was it? without the counts it will I suppose be difficult to tell.
Enough to stop me sleeping but not pounding out of my chest. If happens again I will count it.

cheys03

Veteran
I get something similar, a higher average heart rate for the hours after an intense ride or other activity. Always when the intensity leaves me dehydrated. Like you I put it down to the body being stressed. It’s not pleasant though it doesn’t worry me but I’ve no heart issues that I know of. I’m just mindful of it and concentrate on hydration and some electrolytes (common salt, magnesium and potasium) during and post ride.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I get something similar, a higher average heart rate for the hours after an intense ride or other activity. Always when the intensity leaves me dehydrated. Like you I put it down to the body being stressed. It’s not pleasant though it doesn’t worry me but I’ve no heart issues that I know of. I’m just mindful of it and concentrate on hydration and some electrolytes (common salt, magnesium and potasium) during and post ride.
Hmm yeah well I didn't drink nearly enough during that ride

berty bassett

Legendary Member
dehydration can really mess you up in all sorts of ways - when you think you are mostly water , take away a good level of it and its gonna be like taking oil and petrol out of a car ! also i found that some of these doitall drink potions can send your heart dolally

Top Bottom