Fast 'n Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A bike for certain tasks. There is a big rush with an MTB over rough terrain, especial down hill. My 90's MTB is a bit like a fat tyred road bike, but it's not great down the rocky stuff. My newer Full suspension is something else - drop the dropper seat post, get your weight back, and the thing just smashes over everything.

Yes they are a drag on tarmac, especially if you are regularly switching between bike types.

My missus MTB is very light considering it's a 100mm Full suspension, but it's an XC bike. My trail bike is a fair amount heavier.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Anything that has 220lbs on top of it is not fast and light.

Oh I don't know, my wife likes to ride her 35 pound bike at times. Not exactly slow at 18.0 MPH over 43 miles. :dance:

000tandem.JPG
DSCN2224.JPG

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

Formerly known as Yellow-Road
I want to make clear I'm a road cyclist. If somebody likes riding a mtb then more power to ya. I just love the speed, acceleration & razor sharp handling of a SS road bike. Sweet as chocolate candy.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I want to make clear I'm a road cyclist. If somebody likes riding a mtb then more power to ya. I just love the speed, acceleration & razor sharp handling of a SS road bike. Sweet as chocolate candy.
I really dont see the point of your post. You cannot be niave enough not to understand that other people like diffent things to you. Are you telling us you cannot see why people would like to ride mtbs in the countryside?

Really?

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mountain biking has changed. In the early years it was about cross-country riding using existing bridleways and tracks and people rode full rigid bikes, which you could easily shoulder up a mountain. There were XC races and trailquest events like the Polaris Mountain Marathon. You'll still see those old bikes chained up at stations doing reliable service as commuters. At that time, late 80s, my brother and I came to mountain biking after years trudging up and down mountains on foot so we found the added speed and distance liberating and quickly became absolutely obsessed, to the point where we lived mountain biking and drove the rest of our family nuts. At that time you couldn't go very fast so most crashes were harmless low speed tumbles, thank goodness. Clothing was mostly old mountaineering stuff with road cycling shorts. My favourite kit was a smelly Helly Lifa top (still is) paired with Ron Hill Tracksters.

Then through the 90s suspension forks became common, first using polymers for cushioning then springs then air as the technology improved. Speeds increased as forks improved. Rim brakes evolved to the really superb Shimano XTR V brakes and then disc brakes took off, allowing greater speeds downhill in wet conditions. Rear suspension became common though there were lots of false starts with frame designs, shock absorbers and pivot bearings, which didn't do well in a wet British climate. Bikes got heavier but faster downhill, you no longer had to pick a route as you could rely on your suspension to carry you over most stuff.

Then 29" wheels began to appear. After a slow start they gradually became standard. By now you couldn't shoulder a mountain bike up a mountain but you had no need because the industry had found another way to monetise cycling with trail centres, which had cafés and even uplift at some. There is now a generation of mountain bikers who only ride downhill, fast, doing lots of damage when they crash and would never dream of buying an OS map, scoping out a route then sticking the map in a pocket and going out to ride. For them I guess it's about the thrill of the speed, the flow, the scene, the kit and the fashions.

But there are still many many off-road cyclists out there, quietly plodding around the countryside on bikes, enjoying a day out, not interested in trail centres, not bothered about wet and mud, exercising mountain crafts like route-finding and dealing with weather and nature. They just don't make a noise about it.

Last edited:
:welcome: MTBs are generally tougher, :whistle:
Not allowed on the Three Peaks Cyclo-Cross, & that's not a flat/smooth course!!:whistle:

Three-Peaks-CT-11.jpg

There was a time, long long ago, when cross country MTBing was a thing and people made very lightweight MTBs.
Oh yes

I, metaphorically, drooled over the Ritchey P-21 (as in weight, in pounds), back in the mid 90s (1)
Ritchey. 2.jpg Ritchey. 3.jpg Ritchey. 4.jpg

Likewise the Klein Attitude
maxresdefault.jpg

That was even though, I was riding a Pace Research RC100, at the time!!
This One Is Not Mine
Pace Research RC100. 3.jpg Pace Research RC100. 5.jpg

1. Ritchey also, alongside MTB & CX frames (& some road frames) at the time also designed/produced
Chainsets, cantilever brakes, rims, tyres, saddles, brake-levers, pedals, seat-pins, stems, 'bars, grips, etc..

When I bought my Dyna-Tech 755Ti, back in 1994, I had Ritchey seat-pin & stem fitted (& they still look rather decent)
Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 4.JPG Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 5.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom