'Fast' Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I gained at between 0.5 and1 mph average over same routes on the GP4000S but also gained two punctures within four weeks so it put me off them. Prefer a compromise with more puncture resistance. Been running Vittoria Rubino Pro and the older Vredestein Tri Comps for ages and I shouldn't tempt fate, but have not had a visit in well over a year and they roll well enough.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I find the Conti GP4000 S2 ace - but only in the spring and summer. Once it turns October, I am getting one visitation after another, maybe because all the stuff on the roads or maybe it's just an odd coincidence. Changed to Durano Plus, which are very puncture resistant but markably slower and have a horrible feel that comes close to solid tyres. When I changed back to the GP4000 S2 in this spring, my average speed on the same route instantly increased by 2 kph. On a new bike, I'm currently riding the GP 4 Seasons, which so far seem fine.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I gained at between 0.5 and1 mph average over same routes on the GP4000S but also gained two punctures within four weeks so it put me off them. Prefer a compromise with more puncture resistance. Been running Vittoria Rubino Pro and the older Vredestein Tri Comps for ages and I shouldn't tempt fate, but have not had a visit in well over a year and they roll well enough.

I run Rubino Pro's on my carbon bike, Had them on since April or May and they have done me well especially since I have used the bike to commute around london.

I have Durano Plus tyres on my main commuter and since that its coming to its second year running them, they have small holes cuts all over them that go into the protection layer. Im sure they've saved me from a few roadside repairs but Im going to replace them with a pair of Michelin Pro4 ENDURANCE V2's soon which have had great feedback so far.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Changed to Durano Plus, which are very puncture resistant but markably slower and have a horrible feel

I used to use Durano Plus but gave up on them for much the same reason - on poor road surfaces they feel rough and sluggish. Awesome puncture protection but at the expense of being very rigid.

I'd rather suffer the occasional puncture than use them again.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I run Rubino Pro's on my carbon bike, Had them on since April or May and they have done me well especially since I have used the bike to commute around london.

I have Durano Plus tyres on my main commuter and since that its coming to its second year running them, they have small holes cuts all over them that go into the protection layer. Im sure they've saved me from a few roadside repairs but Im going to replace them with a pair of Michelin Pro4 ENDURANCE V2's soon which have had great feedback so far.

My carbon bike came with Rubino Pro's and I really rated them during the summer, but come the cold and wet and they suffer from a real lack of grip/traction, especially when putting the power down on a climb, so I've swapped them for Gatorskins for now, although I'll put them back on in the spring.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My carbon bike came with Rubino Pro's and I really rated them during the summer, but come the cold and wet and they suffer from a real lack of grip/traction, especially when putting the power down on a climb, so I've swapped them for Gatorskins for now, although I'll put them back on in the spring.

Funny you should say that. I used to use Rubino Pro's but I now have Rubino Pro G+ which I think are the replacement for the Pro's. I have noticed a reduction in grip when putting the power down. It was always a problem on steep, wet climbs with the Pro's. Now I seem to get a bit of wheel spin even on less steep stuff when it's wet and I really go for it

Maybe it's down to my epic watts?

Sharky

Guru
Continental Grand Prix 'Supersonic' 700x20, the most uncomfortable puncture prone tyre going but by gawd they're 'fast' especially run at close to their 'max rated pressure'........................170psi. :eek:

I've got innertubes that weigh more. :ohmy:
I've been riding these this year - great tyres for TT's

S-Express

Continental Grand Prix 'Supersonic' 700x20, the most uncomfortable puncture prone tyre going but by gawd they're 'fast' especially run at close to their 'max rated pressure'........................170psi. :eek:

I've got innertubes that weigh more. :ohmy:

Supersonics are great tyres for the right application. Great for smooth, regularly-swept tarmac or indoor track use. Absolutely no puncture protection though, and even Conti's own description of them on the website suggests you have to weigh up the puncture risks against the speed benefit.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not so much a 'bible' really - one person's review site with limited testing data followed by an anecdotal review of the tyre. I've always struggled to take it too seriously.

OK. If you can point me to a better source of the results of testing rolling and puncture resistance of tyres then I can use that. Otherwise this is the best I've found

I don't pay any attention to his review other than the numbers. I can make my own mind up based on these

S-Express

OK. If you can point me to a better source of the results of testing rolling and puncture resistance of tyres then I can use that. Otherwise this is the best I've found

There possibly isn't a better or alternative source for those results - but the results are all 'theoretical, lab condition tests' anyway. His choice of using a roller covered in chequer plate 'in order to reflect real world road conditions' is a bit bizarre. And sticking a weighted 1mm needle into a tyre at 90deg to the road surface is not really an ideal measure of puncture resistance, because it doesn't really reflect real world conditions. The point I'm making is that it is probably best to ignore stuff like that. The guy clearly gets off on testing tyres, but I don't think it means very much in reality.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There possibly isn't a better or alternative source for those results - but the results are all 'theoretical, lab condition tests' anyway. His choice of using a roller covered in chequer plate 'in order to reflect real world road conditions' is a bit bizarre. And sticking a weighted 1mm needle into a tyre at 90deg to the road surface is not really an ideal measure of puncture resistance, because it doesn't really reflect real world conditions. The point I'm making is that it is probably best to ignore stuff like that. The guy clearly gets off on testing tyres, but I don't think it means very much in reality.
I'd be delighted to ignore it if there was a better source. As far as I can see it's this or anecdotal suggestions that "I've run XX for years and never had a puncture". So if I ignore his results, as you suggest, then I'm stuck with personal recommendations which sounds like a backwards step

I'd agree that his testing methods are not perfect but they are replicable so are comparable and it seems that they're the best out there

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~

cant say ive noticed the lack of grip/traction, but then again I havent taken my carbon out in the rain. Ive been in some light drizzle and damp conditions but never full on rain. Though, I weigh a tonne so i probably have enough weight on the back to avoid sticky situations.

Top Bottom