Fastening Lidl Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I bought a set of the above a while back and have just got around to fixing them to my wife's bike.

They appear to be held on with velcro - I'm sceptical that velcro, on its own, is enough to hold them in place.

Does anyone have a solution for holding panniers to the rack - there doesn't seem to be any hooks or eyelets on the panniers so that I can cable tie or use bungee cords to tie them down?

Thanks

I had a set of these for a while, (might have been Aldi ones, can't remember), but mine had a short 'bungee' strap on the back as well as the velcro, and the velcro stuck like $hit to a blanket.

They felt safe enough the ones I had, but perhaps you've got a Friday afternoon set?

defy-one

Put a hole somewhere and cable tie. Are you sure they are panniers???? No hooks sound suspect to me.
Mine have 2 hooks near the top so they can hang over the rack top bar

HovR

Über Member
I have these, and the first time using them they failed catastrophically. You can read about it here.

Since then I have added some hardboard backing to the inside of the panniers to restrict the flex in the pannier which drew it in to my rear wheel. In addition to this, I have modified my rear rack with some aluminium strips to further prevent this from happening again.

Once these modifications have been made the velcro is enough to hold the panniers as long as they are loaded equally between the left and right pannier. I now occasionally use them over a 10 or so mile route I travel fairly infrequently.

Unless you are willing to make modifications of these sorts to prevent this from happening, I would be wary of using this pannier set. Further more, even after all the issues are fixed they're not the best set of panniers, so if you will be using panniers on a regular basis I would recommend purchasing a better quality pair.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
I have these, and the first time using them they failed catastrophically. You can read about it here.

Since then I have added some hardboard backing to the inside of the panniers to restrict the flex in the pannier which drew it in to my rear wheel. In addition to this, I have modified my rear rack with some aluminium strips to further prevent this from happening again.

Once these modifications have been made the velcro is enough to hold the panniers as long as they are loaded equally between the left and right pannier. I now occasionally use them over a 10 or so mile route I travel fairly infrequently.

Unless you are willing to make modifications of these sorts to prevent this from happening, I would be wary of using this pannier set. Further more, even after all the issues are fixed they're not the best set of panniers, so if you will be using panniers on a regular basis I would recommend purchasing a better quality pair.

Thanks-they just feel like they need something more sturdy than velcro to hold them in place. Will have a think about how best to use them.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Thinking out loud. I guess I can bungee cord the panniers once the stuff has been put inside.

Some kind of mesh on the rack sides might be useful I guess-will have a nosey in the garage over the weekend. Am planning to do do 50 or so miles along Hadrian's cycleway from Ravensglass on Sunday with the wife-the idea being to get the wife used to carrying stuff on the bike when we do a cycle tour that involves an overnight stay.

HovR

Über Member
You can see the modifications I made to my rack in the image below. The panniers were sucked in to the space between the rack and the wheel from the rear end of the rack, so I added some aluminium strips to prevent the panniers from being able to do this.

DSCF0487.JPG

If your rack already has framing or tubing going right to the rear of the rack to prevent pannier/wheel contact then you probably won't need to do this, however the majority that I see do not have this protection.

And here's a picture of the hard-board backing I put inside of the panniers to remove the flex that allowed the pannier to move into the wheel.

DSCF0486.JPG

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Thanks very much for showing pics. My rack has a triangle frame, so less of an issue about the bag going into the wheel, but would be better with a horizontal bar or two to make a upside-down A frame

This is the rack I have.

womblechops

I have the same bag and a rack with a triangle frame (to avoid wheel suckage). Not had any probs yet over the potholes of south London but I don't put much weight in the side pockets as the zips on these bags are too small for anything big. I often put a lever arch folder or two in the top bag, but there the weight is on the rack and not on the velcro.

I'd second the comment above on the stickiness of the velcro.

I have these panniers. They work well on a Tubus Cargo rack, which has a triangular frame and prongs that stick up through the slot at the end of the panniers, holding the top in place tightly. That way it isnt just Velcro holding them in place.

I've never tried anything fancier, so I can't compare them with anything else.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I have these for my commute bike, they work for me and are secure, very secure even with weight in them.........

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
I thought I'd provide some feedback after my wife used the panniers for a 45 mile ride along Hadrian's cycleway on Sunday.

We had a picnic stored in the panniers, some keys and phones, and a couple of d-locks. I strapped the panniers down with velcro and then used 2 bungee cords across the top of the panniers for a bit more security.

The panniers did their job very well. It rained (mostly light rain) for a lot of the day and the rain cover is a real bonus too. At one point I had to change the tube on the rear wheel from a puncture-bike turned upside down with panniers attached and they held fast.

I ended up being very fortunate though. At the end of the ride, when taking off the rain cover, a set of keys was in the bottom of the rain cover, held in place by the elasticated hem:whistle:. So, all in all, they did their job exceptionally well.:thumbsup:

Perhaps the main thing to have with these panniers is a rack with two side bars on each side.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
+ a thanks to the Cyclechatter [Terry Kay] who posted them to me because my local Lidl didn't have any in stock:thumbsup:

Top Bottom