Fastest, oldest cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Well, here's something verifiable. See no25. But then, see no19. Could do better.
Is blazed No 65?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Does anyone have NY examples or older, fast riders?
Yeah me (although it depends what you mean by older)
I'm 46 and am certainly one of the top cyclists in the UK. I could easily compete in and win GTs, olympics and worlds (track and road) now and well into my 60s but unforunately work gets in the way. I do expect that my speed will decline somewhat through my 70s and 80s but fully expect that I could certainly be national champion in all disciplines when I'm 90. Hope that helps :okay:

Last edited:

Red17

Veteran
One thing that worries me in life is aging to the point you lose most of your speed from a declining fitness. I try not to think about this but when I do it stresses me out.

Bit like in motorcycle racing - "the older I get the faster I was" is pretty standard thinking.

However I found Joe Friels book Fast After 50 an interesting read.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yeah me (although it depends what you mean by older)
I'm 46 and am certainly one of the top cyclists in the UK. I could easily compete in and win GTs, olympics and worlds (track and road) now and well into my 60s but unforunately work gets in the way. I do expect that my speed will decline somewhat through my 70s and 80s but fully expect that I could certainly be national champion in all disciplines when I'm 90. Hope that helps :okay:

Not sure, but I've a sneaky suspicion you are a fibber.

Venod

Eh up
Does anyone have NY examples or older, fast riders

Glad somebody pointed out the meaning of NY.

I went through New York, New You, Near You, New Year, Not You, my brain as well as my cycling is obviously diminishing with age, soon be spoon fed custard time.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I keep looking at my bike and thinking, why won't you go as fast as last year, or the year before that. Truth is, I look in the mirror and see an oversized stomach from the Christmas excesses, and since I really got into cycling and dare I say it, relatively fit, time has passed. I've been on a mission to ride since 2008 when I turned 40.

Last year I managed about 4600 miles, and about 150,000 feet of climbing, but my best speeds and best times seem to be a thing of the past.

At my best I can average 18 mph for 18 miles and a 1000ft of climbing (in the summer), but lately, with cold, rain, wet roads, motivation and added weight, i'm lucky to top 16.5mph average with reliably slower climb times. Of course this is a Strava obsessive talking, (a Stravassole). I don't aim for KOMs as I realise I am way off the mark, but I like to be up the table, and not down it.

I do a mixture of commuting and leisure rides. The fact is, I do need to lose some weight and my motivation to ride is 100%, but we all need rewards for our efforts. My one reward is that I had a blood pressure check recently, and the reading was identical to one taken 5 years before hand - nursey was quite impressed!

Thing is, I need a goal, I need to see continuous improvement, I want to reach new heights, and I want to be better!

I've done enough Charity rides to write a book, so i'm not planning anymore this year.

I do have the chance of riding in Lanzarote this year, which will be ace!

But seriously, I've got myself in a right old silly state about cycling.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One thing that worries me in life is aging to the point you lose most of your speed from a declining fitness. I try not to think about this but when I do it stresses me out.

There must be many cyclists out there who have defied the aging process and are still super quick. Does anyone have NY examples or older, fast riders?
I'm sure there are examples but they're irrelevant. Tough truth time: there comes a point for most people where they must accept their own mortality. This doesn't mean a slow shuffle to the grave but death will take all of us eventually. It even got my relative who used to answer when asked if he wanted to be buried or cremated "neither - I ain't going!" :laugh:

Maybe you'll be a veteran champion but probably you won't. Find other enjoyment in cycling and you'll keep doing it longer and thereby probably live longer to keep enjoying everything.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
I'm sure there are examples but they're irrelevant. Tough truth time: there comes a point for most people where they must accept their own mortality. This doesn't mean a slow shuffle to the grave but death will take all of us eventually. It even got my relative who used to answer when asked if he wanted to be buried or cremated "neither - I ain't going!" :laugh:

Maybe you'll be a veteran champion but probably you won't. Find other enjoyment in cycling and you'll keep doing it longer and thereby probably live longer to keep enjoying everything.
Growing up i had the belief that I was invincible and even today when I get injured it surprises me that my body has let me down like that.

Of all sports or exercise activities I have been into cycling is my favourite but I could not imagine cycling if month after month I was just getting slower, it would ruin it for me. Maybe I can push on through the aging process and retain all my fitness until I die, this is what I hope. There must be example of people who have aged into their 60's and continued getting fitter.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The only way you will be at your peak of fitness at 60 is if you were very unfit during the first 59 years of your life.

Were all going to get older and gradually slow down you cant fight against nature one way is to increase distance rather than worry about speed. your peak of endurance for longer events is much later in life than your peak for speed.

Hence the number of older riders successfully completing Paris Brest Paris and other ultra endurance events.

Top Bottom