Fastest, oldest cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Thing is, I need a goal, I need to see continuous improvement, I want to reach new heights, and I want to be better!

I've done enough Charity rides to write a book, so i'm not planning anymore this year.
But seriously, I've got myself in a right old silly state about cycling.
Slightly OT - but I think you need the world of audax. :bicycle: :evil:

Growing up i had the belief that I was invincible and even today when I get injured it surprises me that my body has let me down like that.
Yup, BTDT GTTS ! I find the most annoying thing is that it takes so much longer for a relatively minor injury (from small cut to tweaked knee) to heal properly and I always want to go 'back to normal' too early .. resulting in more delay ... :cursing:

Maybe the answer is not to be over-focussed on speed as one benefit of aging is that endurance often increases, so longer rides become more accessible. I started cycling relatively late and somewhat surprised myself in managing The Snow Roads 300km audax (4,800m of hills) at the tender age of 'about 60' ... :whistle: More details and photies here.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pedantic mode. Any is hardly worth shortening to NY, 4 key presses not 3 (2 shifts).
Super-pedantic mode ... if he just held the shift key down for both letters, that would be back to 3 presses, assuming that he was using a real keyboard rather than a screen one. And shouldn't it be NE NEHOW? :whistle:

sidevalve

Über Member
Do you want to be fit or do you want to be fast ? Sorry to sound old and dull but you will slow down - you can never match someone 20 - 30 years your junior, get over it. Why is speed the god ? Just get out there and enjoy riding - there are other things than speed

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I find the most annoying thing is that it takes so much longer for a relatively minor injury (from small cut to tweaked knee) to heal properly and I always want to go 'back to normal' too early .. resulting in more delay ... :cursing:

Agreed - especially annoying when the grandchildren fall over, cut there knee and five minutes later there is no visible trace.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
One thing that worries me in life is aging to the point you lose most of your speed from a declining fitness. I try not to think about this but when I do it stresses me out.

There must be many cyclists out there who have defied the aging process and are still super quick. Does anyone have NY examples or older, fast riders?

There's a much better test of old-ness than cycling:

Can you still put your boxers on whilst standing up and without having to lean against something for balance?

If no* you are old, if yes then you aren't.

*Excluding any disabilities etc.

I'm still young! :smile:

rugby bloke

Veteran
I would agree that the aging process effects power and endurance in different ways. In my rugby life, I have lost a significant amount of speed over short explosive distances since my 20's and now have the humiliation of being of bring at least a yard slower than my eldest son over 20 or 30 yards. However, since taking up cycling in my 40's I have not noticed the same drop off in endurance over the last 10 years and in some ways feel fitetr than 10 years ago.

I would agree about the time for injuries to heal - the body certainly gets more delicate with time !

StuartG

slower but further
Over 60 the speed may reduce but the sex gets better. There may be a subliminal message there ... relax and enjoy!

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
Do you want to be fit or do you want to be fast ? Sorry to sound old and dull but you will slow down - you can never match someone 20 - 30 years your junior, get over it. Why is speed the god ? Just get out there and enjoy riding - there are other things than speed
For racers without the speed there is nothing. Once the speed is gone, you don't continue driving an f1 car, just 'to be out there', it's the same cycling.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have mentioned my Costa Blanca cycling holidays in several posts ... We used to see the same group of elderly riders there every year. On one occasion I saw that one of them had a battered face that looked like someone had taken sandpaper to it. I asked what had happened and the old man replied somewhat sheepishly (and ruefully) that maybe at 74 he was getting a bit too old to be racing 25 year olds down twisting gravel-strewn mountain descents! :laugh:

AndyRM

XOXO
What a load of pish!

Here's a very serious cyclist out enjoying himself...

article-0-05038E700000044D-228_468x625.jpg

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
What a load of pish!

Here's a very serious cyclist out enjoying himself...

article-0-05038E700000044D-228_468x625.jpg
I bet you he suffers mentally. How can a once great sportsman who's life revolved around being fast, being the best, not suffer when that goes? This is the predicament I am in, maybe I am worrying to early but I always like to plan ahead.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Can you still put your boxers on whilst standing up and without having to lean against something for balance?
Meaningless, are we talking
These?
index.jpg

Or these?
HNS_120465_BlackGrey.jpg

Big difference in the required limberness
Oh, and I don't want pictures, I am quite happy to accept you at your word, which it appears is more than can be said for you!!

Not sure, but I've a sneaky suspicion you are a fibber.

:sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom