Fastest, oldest cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
One thing that worries me in life is aging to the point you lose most of your speed from a declining fitness. I try not to think about this but when I do it stresses me out.

There must be many cyclists out there who have defied the aging process and are still super quick. Does anyone have NY examples or older, fast riders?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I decided that the answer to that problem was to spend the first 3/4 of my life not being very fit, thus leaving plenty of spare potential fitness to offset the decline due to getting old. I will probably be at my quickest about 10 minutes before I die.

Citius

One thing that worries me in life is aging to the point you lose most of your speed from a declining fitness. I try not to think about this but when I do it stresses me out.

There must be many cyclists out there who have defied the aging process and are still super quick. Does anyone have NY examples or older, fast riders?

Speed is relative, as I'm sure you know. There are plenty of old sportive riders who you will be able to identify with. A quick look around the LVRC website (an organisation for riders who actually pin a number on their back) will confirm that there are older riders riding now who are still quicker than you will ever be. Like I say, it's all relative.

One thing that worries me in life is aging to the point you lose most of your speed from a declining fitness.
How fast are you at present and how old are you? I could work out how fast you'll be at various ages in the future for you from that information.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Well, here's something verifiable. See no25. But then, see no19. Could do better.

Last edited by a moderator:

LocalLad

Surely the answer is the same as at any age...you'll need to train to get to your desired fitness. Presumably that means training more when you're older, but that's your choice.

pubrunner

Legendary Member

A good friend of mine was a 4 time National Time Trial Champion and by any standards, was an exceptional rider - even beating Tommy Simpson in open competition.

I knew him through running and he was a superb runner - even in his 60s, he was running well under 3 hours for a marathon. Now in his 80s, his running speeds have declined significantly - I could easily beat him, even with no training. However, his cycling ability has declined to a much lesser extent {I can't beat him}.

A few years ago, he did a (very hilly) Cyclechat ride and he had no trouble at all, in keeping up with all the other riders; he made it all look effortless which it probably was - years ago, he did a 24 hour time trial and averaged 20mph . . . . . . .I can't do that for one hour, let alone 24 (so no wonder he found it easy).

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/open-to-offas-ride.104782/page-15

The all important thing is though, Mick 'the Quick' still gets out on his bike and enjoys a ride out with his mates . . . . . . . which is what it's all about, really. Hope I'm doing the same at 82.

pubrunner

Legendary Member

Thank you for this link ^^^, I found it very interesting reading - one of the tales is very similar to one about the Mick that I know . . .

In 1958, he won the National 25 & 50 Mile TT Championships, becoming the first man ever to achieve this feat. In the same year, in the National 12 Hour, he came second, which shows the tremendous range of his ability. In the National 100, he 'only' placed 8th . . . A wheel broke at 75 miles, so he borrowed a bike from a Marshall, and finished the race on that.

Mick told me that he sometimes had to sleep rough - he frequently cycled to the events in which he was competing and would sleep in barns/under hedges - wherever he could find.

One of Mick's greatest achievements, must be when he came out of retirement in the late 1970s; well into his 40s, he came 3rd in the National 12 hour, beating amongst other people, cycling legend Ian Cammish.

I don't think that Mick ever competed in Ireland, but I'll certainly ask him if he knew of Mick Murphy - these kind of athletes deserve to be better known, IMO.

Last edited:
Yes, lots of examples of old riders still super quick but the point is, they were super quick to begin with. For the rest of us, it's best that we accept our place, put aside any competitive ambitions, and focus on just getting out to enjoy the countryside and eat cake.

Top Bottom