Fastest you've been on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I must have been going about 40mph that time I catapulted myself face first into a dry stone wall.
Ouch:banghead:

johnblack

Über Member
Funnily enough I guessed it would have been descending from a climb in the Alps but a quick check on Strava confirms my lack of skills on the downhill as I never broke the 40mph mark. However on a local, pretty innocuous descent I get up to just below 45mph.

byegad

Legendary Member
In my late middle age I've topped 50mph on all my recumbents, AZUB-4 recumbent bike, with front fairing, ICE QNT trike, with the same fairing, Hase Kettwiesel trike, again with the fairing and a naked Catrike Trail, yet another trike. In no case did I get much over 50mph, because, having seen the 50, I touched the brakes. In all cases I was going down a goodly hill. On the AZUB and Kettwiesel I had a tail wind, the other two were on steeper hills.
These days I'm backing off if I top 40mph.

We tend, in these threads to disregard the risks, but 50mph with your bottom 8 inches off the road is seriously quick. Hitting anything is likely to be terminal, even feet first! You need to:-
1. Know the road, in that there are no junctions or drives that something can turn out of having seriously misjudged your speed.
2. Know that the surface is in good condition.
3. Know your bike/trike and how it reacts to braking at that kind of speed.

On a bike and especially an upright, with all that extra drag compared to a recumbent, you have to remember that a speed wobble could be your downfall, literally.

Now nearing 70 I take it a lot easier. Which is my excuse for total lack of speed, anywhere.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
According to an old Cateye computer, I once did 300mph. I suppose there's the slim chance it might've been wrong...
I did record a very high speed on my bike computer once, but then I did have two wheel magnets on the wheel.

(I was catching up from the day before when my computer had stopped working on my regular commute, so installed a second magnet to catch up)

winjim

Smash the cistern
It was a bit hurty.

You've done that too? I think dry stone walls have magnetic properties.
The rider in front had rather inconsiderately sprawled herself and her bike across the road so as I hit them my bike came to a sudden stop, but I carried on going. My bike was fine, I ended up in hospital whereas she was unhurt but her bike was knackered. So I call it a draw.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
50mph once. Now I am older, more sensible (Cowardly) and brittle 30 is enough for me. Descending at high speed is actually quite knackering, I find it hard on the shoulders, arms and wrists and the concentration level is draining.

46 on an empty road. I was doing 45ish on another road once when I saw someone ahead in a side road. My spider instincts reached for the brakes and sure enough, they pulled out, I think most people are not expecting a cyclist to be moving that fast.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
46 on an empty road. I was doing 45ish on another road once when I saw someone ahead in a side road. My spider instincts reached for the brakes and sure enough, they pulled out, I think most people are not expecting a cyclist to be moving that fast.
That's the most dangerous thing about descents once you get reasonably confident. Plenty of 50mph descents around here with the right wind direction. As you say, the danger is cars seeing you and assuming cyclist=slow when actually I'm going at least as fast as the traffic

Fwiw, fastest is 56mph off the North side of Holme Moss. It's about half a mile straight of 12%. Hairpins at the bottom are a bit disconcerting though

Top Bottom