Fastest you've been on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
School run: We live at the top of a steep hill. Went so fast once, my cap came off causing my daughter (stoker) to burst into wild hysterics. Then her cap came off and she flipped. I love a bit of karma.:evil: The caps are off. That's warp speed surely.

Although I've been MUCH faster with 4 bags up in France and on Dartmoor and Exmoor, we regularly hit 52kph+ on the school run. Two bodies on a bike is a gravitational force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
That's the most dangerous thing about descents once you get reasonably confident. Plenty of 50mph descents around here with the right wind direction. As you say, the danger is cars seeing you and assuming cyclist=slow when actually I'm going at least as fast as the traffic

Fwiw, fastest is 56mph off the North side of Holme Moss. It's about half a mile straight of 12%. Hairpins at the bottom are a bit disconcerting though

Reminds me of a story my daughter told me when she was learning to drive. She was going up a twisty hill locally and a cyclist was coming towards them at a high speed.
Her instructor asked - "did you see that cyclist coming towards you?"
to which, she replied "yes, that was my Dad"

Jody

Stubborn git
My fastest was off road at 50 and on tarmac was 46. Both on the MTB. I find hitting speed on a road bike although I dont mind it leaves me a little uneasy as there is no give when you hit a pothole.

C R

Guru
Around 33mph down the A449 towards Ledbury, not a particularly difficult or steep descent, I don't think, but I spun out my 48x12.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Just looking through my Strava. 40mph is my max. Certainly felt faster.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Good to see someone back up there claim.:okay:
Screenshot_20190607-133128.png

Fastest ever recorded on Strava on that descent is 97.9kmh which is 61mph

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I see the North side of Holme Moss mentioned – in my misspent yoof I used to see how many cars I could overtake down there on a Sunday morning. Such foolishness is not recommended and well behind me, but it is, much more recently, the site of my fastest solo recorded speed, 57mph. There must have been a tailwind.

Fastest tandem speed is identical, on the Rosneath peninsula, whilst trying not to melt the blocks. We now have a drag brake :okay:

NB, I noted only last week the Holme Moss descent features a Strava segment named “this is where I broke my shoulder”, or somesuch. Never try to go faster then you’re really comfortable with, don’t succumb to peer pressure.

Top Bottom