Fastest you've been on your bike?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by bluezelos, 7 Jun 2019.

1. bluezelos

bluezelos Regular

I hit the magical 30mph the other day (downhill obviously!) Anyone hit any jaw dropping speeds on their tread iron?

rugby bloke and Sharky like this.
  2. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Set the speed cameras off in a fifty zone. Plus the 10% & plus 2mph, makes it at least 57mph.

Milzy, dan_bo, NorthernDave and 3 others like this.
  3. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

28mph going down seven sisters road on the commute. Allie pallie was more like 30-35mph. didn't have my garmin on me at the time but i can tell you it was a very hair raising experience.

4. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I've kept station in a row of cars on the dual carriageway section of the Ashbourne/Derby road, not sure of the speed but I'd run out of gears (52-12 top gear)

Mind I was going downhill with a tailwind and a trailer loaded with camping gear pushing me. :eek:

1st trip out with the trailer and I'd slowly pushed the speed up to see how stable the rig was and had struggled up this hill on the way out, I knew there were no turnings before the road started climbing again and I just wanted to see how far I could push the handling. :hyper: :becool:

classic33 likes this.
  5. 6 mph - downhill with a wind behind. Boy, it was scary.

6. Slick

Slick Veteran

45mph down Sannox on Arran on a rare brave day. I was looking for 50mph which was easily within reach when I has to brake for the only car within a 5 mile radius.

7. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Cycliste en formation

49.29 mph in December 2018.

NorthernDave likes this.
  8. CXRAndy

CXRAndy Veteran

53mph on a 6% descent. Given my weight I could exceed 60mph on a steeper descent. 53 is quite quick enough

Milzy, LeetleGreyCells and raleighnut like this.
  9. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

I've coasted up to 38mph on the current bike. I no longer have the brass monkeys to really milk it.
    51mph on a Peugeot road bike running a 52-11 when I was in my mid 20's. I really screwed every ounce of muscle from my legs for that. Scared the s**t out me too. :laugh:

10. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

I once went unbelievably fast, but it was a perfect storm kind of situation (downhill with tailwind). I keep trying to beat that and go ludicrously fast but it has been 3 or 4 years now and the opportunity hasn't occurred yet.
    I do manage to go stupidly fast once or twice a year and almost every commute sees me cycling at over 30mph at some point.

dan_bo and classic33 like this.
  11. Quite a few years ago, when my Dyna-Tech 75Ti was fairly new (I bought it in 1994)
    East Chevin, dropping into Otley; well known the most of the West Yorkshire contingent on here, & also used in the Tour de Yorkshire

There's also a 2-part hill-climb, held by Otley CC, utilising East Chevin, & Norwood Edge(1)

I used to have an Avocet (40?) 'computer' on the 755, & they were very accurate if set up correctly (to inches per mile)
    It must have been a 'brave pill' day, & traffic free (definitely not a summer Sunday, then!!)
    With watering eyes, it had recorded a maximum of 61. something MPH down there...…….

Scary & I've never even been tempted to try & repeat it, not on my (present) Gran Fondo, or the CGR...……………….

(1)N E is to the north of the town, & on the other side of Wharfedale, taking the road towards the A59 (pronounced 'Norrud')

12. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Just over 60mph in Snowdonia, in a group of us (PS Also had an Avocet - remember it reading over 60 and shouting ' we're going over 60, whaaaaa). Used to regularly hit over 50 in the Peaks.

It's a lot less now as I'm mainly off road, but I do hold 5th place on a local off road down hill at around 26 mph, which is about half a mile long - it's not technical, but the first section isn't wide and it's knowing how to get through the brambles quickly. Best in winter/spring.

dan_bo and classic33 like this.
  13. 71km/h (44mph) on a wide open stretch of southern Bavaria with a slight downhill and vicious tailwind. It took me nearly an hour to cover the same stretch in the opposite direction.

I'd gone to pick up a dress for Beautiful Wife's wedding reception: the things you do for love...

14. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Just over 50mph descending a mountain in Spain

15. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

I must have been going about 40mph that time I catapulted myself face first into a dry stone wall.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice