Fastest you've been on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Set the speed cameras off in a fifty zone. Plus the 10% & plus 2mph, makes it at least 57mph.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
28mph going down seven sisters road on the commute. Allie pallie was more like 30-35mph. didn't have my garmin on me at the time but i can tell you it was a very hair raising experience.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've kept station in a row of cars on the dual carriageway section of the Ashbourne/Derby road, not sure of the speed but I'd run out of gears (52-12 top gear)

Mind I was going downhill with a tailwind and a trailer loaded with camping gear pushing me. :eek:

1st trip out with the trailer and I'd slowly pushed the speed up to see how stable the rig was and had struggled up this hill on the way out, I knew there were no turnings before the road started climbing again and I just wanted to see how far I could push the handling. :hyper: :becool:

Slick

Guru
45mph down Sannox on Arran on a rare brave day. I was looking for 50mph which was easily within reach when I has to brake for the only car within a 5 mile radius.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've coasted up to 38mph on the current bike. I no longer have the brass monkeys to really milk it.
51mph on a Peugeot road bike running a 52-11 when I was in my mid 20's. I really screwed every ounce of muscle from my legs for that. Scared the s**t out me too. :laugh:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I once went unbelievably fast, but it was a perfect storm kind of situation (downhill with tailwind). I keep trying to beat that and go ludicrously fast but it has been 3 or 4 years now and the opportunity hasn't occurred yet.
I do manage to go stupidly fast once or twice a year and almost every commute sees me cycling at over 30mph at some point.

Quite a few years ago, when my Dyna-Tech 75Ti was fairly new (I bought it in 1994)
East Chevin, dropping into Otley; well known the most of the West Yorkshire contingent on here, & also used in the Tour de Yorkshire

There's also a 2-part hill-climb, held by Otley CC, utilising East Chevin, & Norwood Edge(1)

I used to have an Avocet (40?) 'computer' on the 755, & they were very accurate if set up correctly (to inches per mile)
It must have been a 'brave pill' day, & traffic free (definitely not a summer Sunday, then!!)
With watering eyes, it had recorded a maximum of 61. something MPH down there...…….

Scary & I've never even been tempted to try & repeat it, not on my (present) Gran Fondo, or the CGR...……………….

(1)N E is to the north of the town, & on the other side of Wharfedale, taking the road towards the A59 (pronounced 'Norrud')

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just over 60mph in Snowdonia, in a group of us (PS Also had an Avocet - remember it reading over 60 and shouting ' we're going over 60, whaaaaa). Used to regularly hit over 50 in the Peaks.

It's a lot less now as I'm mainly off road, but I do hold 5th place on a local off road down hill at around 26 mph, which is about half a mile long - it's not technical, but the first section isn't wide and it's knowing how to get through the brambles quickly. Best in winter/spring.

I once went unbelievably fast, but it was a perfect storm kind of situation (downhill with tailwind). I keep trying to beat that and go ludicrously fast but it has been 3 or 4 years now and the opportunity hasn't occurred yet.
I do manage to go stupidly fast once or twice a year and almost every commute sees me cycling at over 30mph at some point.

71km/h (44mph) on a wide open stretch of southern Bavaria with a slight downhill and vicious tailwind. It took me nearly an hour to cover the same stretch in the opposite direction.

I'd gone to pick up a dress for Beautiful Wife's wedding reception: the things you do for love...

Top Bottom