Fasting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul99

Über Member
Brian Moore (that shy ex rugby hooker) has just started a variation of this 5:2 diet, and keeping a blog on it, he has linked in a load of medical thesis etc.

I am watching with interest, ( I would link to it but not sure how on the commanders computer!)

I met Brian Moore once. Well when I say met, what I actually mean was I was walking down Fenchurch Street and not paying attention and I walked straight into him. I can confirm walking into Brian Moore feels just like walking into a brick wall. I landed on my 'arris and he just laughed at me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here's what I had for this evening's fasting meal ... A huge salad, a tin of tuna (in a tiny amount of brine) and a home-made dressing.

Tuna salad.jpg

The tuna was about 160 calories.

I guesstimate the dressing at about 100 calories. I don't think there are many calories in a few mL of balsamic vinegar, some crushed garlic, juice of half a lemon, half a teaspoon of honey, and half a teaspoon of multigrain mustard. I added a small amount of extra virgin olive oil (6 mL) and about 80 g of low fat natural yoghurt.

The salad is huge, but it was all low cal ingredients. For instance - I used a 200 g bag of mixed salad leaves and grated carrot; guess how many calories in that? 30! Something really filling and healthy, which tastes good, hardly contains any calories, and only cost £1 from the local Co-op - bargain!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well so far so good, 5lbs in two days. Another week of this and I can go back to normal eating.

I can't half feel it on the commute though!!

Dirtlover2005

Ok guys - need some inspiration for tonights tea ! The good lady has got some chicken breasts and was going to do a chili chicken dish but tbh neither of us fancy the plum tomato base (we have eaten a lot of tinned tomatoes when fasting). Any ideas gratefully received!

Berties

Fast and careful!
My wife does the fasting diet,I can't do it I commute and ride 35 miles plus 3 days a week mixed with a couple of long rides minimum ,if I don't eat sensibly,I first of all bonk out and when I do eat I can't stop,so fasting just does not work for me,but it's always good practice to keep an eye on what you are eating,

ColinJ

My wife does the fasting diet,I can't do it I commute and ride 35 miles plus 3 days a week mixed with a couple of long rides minimum ,if I don't eat sensibly,I first of all bonk out and when I do eat I can't stop,so fasting just does not work for me,but it's always good practice to keep an eye on what you are eating,
Not to worry - I suspect that you can achieve most of the health benefits of fasting a couple of days a week, by exercising most days.

I remember Michael Mosley doing a programme before the fasting one, which demonstrated that a few short bursts of intense exercise a week could make a big difference to your health. I am fairly sure that I am one of the 'super-responders' mentioned in that article. I have got pretty fit, pretty quickly in the past when I have been motivated enough to do a few hours of cycling a week on a regular basis.

PK99

Legendary Member

The diet work on the idea of 25% of normal intake, not a strict 600 calories which is based on Mr Average with an averagely inactive lifestyle. So if you were looking to lose weight the option is there to work out your normal intake and work it from there.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I have a healthy bmi,but do have to keep an eye on when I eat ,not what I eat ,my hours are not conventional ,I have found I can do short bursts of exercise on a limited food intake say a 10 k run sub 50 mins but a two hour plus ride I bonk out and take on gels,the fast diet was for me to help support my wife,and my findings are a observation ,every ones intakes differ during before and after exercise,I am at a point where I know what I need and when down to how I'm going to ride ,ie speed or cadence or distance,For example Sunday ,I ate when I got in Saturday night /Sunday morning at 1am ,terrible I know,and rode at 8am for three hours to fifty miles took on a gel then another ten to sixty miles broke for a meeting then rode to base a further 14 miles,then ate at 5pm that's not unusual for a couple of days a week,yet today I have eaten 3 squares with a 4 mile run,I was as many just interested in the success of the fasting diet,it just wouldn't suit me

HeroesFitness

People have been fasting for religious reasons for thousands of years, and in the developing world it would not be unusual to go hungry every now and then due to shortage of food or the money to buy it. There is a huge body of knowledge on the subject!

Sharing and documenting results is what we have been doing over the past 29 pages of this thread.

Anyway, that's enough of that ... I haven't eaten anything for 18 hours so it is time for me to have my banana, 5 strawberries and 150 g of natural yoghurt! :thumbsup:
Yes fasting has been done religiously for hundreds of years but it has been ridiculed by health professionals for a very long time, it has only recently been documented on it's benefits, long term documents are not to positive as have not been done under correct protocols, but as you probably know more professional research is being done on fasting

Spencer :-)

ColinJ

Humans have evolved over many tens of thousands of years. The ones that were not suited to the conditions that they faced tended to die out. Given that short periods of hunger have been part of the lives of almost every human who ever lived, except for a relatively few privileged people, I am confident that we are adapted to cope!

What we have not had time to adapt to is the very recent appearance of omni-available, factory-manufactured, calorie-dense junk food.

So ... healthy food most days, a couple of days a week taking it easy, and enjoying the occasional treat - fine!

Eating what you like, when you like - not so fine!

I am 57 years old, so I was a child 45-50 years ago. I hardly ever saw fat people in those days. This picture shows what most kids looked like then ...

school.jpg

If you looked at a photograph from a school in 2013, the difference in average size would be very obvious!

I think that by adopting the fasting approach, eating lots of fresh fruit & veg, and hardly any junk food, most people in the developed world could fix their obesity problem in 1-2 years at most.

PK99

Legendary Member
Humans have evolved over many tens of thousands of years. The ones that were not suited to the conditions that they faced tended to die out. Given that short periods of hunger have been part of the lives of almost every human who ever lived, except for a relatively few privileged people, I am confident that we are adapted to cope!

I have a theory that I call "the theory of the Primordial BBQ"

Q: Why is it that no matter how much meat you cook for a BBQ with folks standing round and eating, you can never cook enough? It ALL goes! FFS! Where's the leftovers i planned for tomorrow?

A: Back in the primordial Hunter Gatherer community, someone would go out and knock an antelope on the head, drag it back and cook it. Everyone would stand around eating and gorge themselves as they did not know when the next antelope would arrive and till then nuts and berries were the only food.

As you say, periods of hunger are what we evolved to cope with.

Top Bottom