Fasting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I am currently fasting every other day, I find I feel better on the fasting days than the eating days.

MikeG

Guru
For a bit of motivation for those currently fasting, here is my graph of my fasting regime results from a year ago. I was on the 5:2 regime for 2 months or so, and then swapped to 6:1, which I still currently follow. In relation to cycling, my experience is that cycling on a fast day is no problem at all, and reinforces the effect of fasting, but cycling the day after a fast can be a bit of a struggle. So, this week for example, with an audax on Saturday, I will be fasting on Thursday, rather than my normal Friday.
T5oUH1v.jpg

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm still doing 5:2 and I find a similar thing.
I had a couple of weeks off a short while ago and I constantly felt hungry!
So not fasting, a.k.a eating 'normally' made me really hungry - weird!

Depends what you are eating on the non diet days.... Processed carbs could be giving you a sugar/ insulin rush.

We find that our diet has shifted on non diet days: less carbs, more protein, more mixed veg. Hunger is not a problem. I am stable at 94kg (down from 107) and mrs pk is stable at 68kg (down from 78)

I am 57 years old, so I was a child 45-50 years ago. I hardly ever saw fat people in those days. This picture shows what most kids looked like then ...

View attachment 32552

If you looked at a photograph from a school in 2013, the difference in average size would be very obvious!
I was interested in this, so did a google images search for year 1 class photo 2014. There didn't seem to be a huge difference. For instance, this was the 3rd class photo image, also years 1 & 2

y1-and-2-class-photo-2013.jpg

(that's it. I now return you to your discussions of the diet. Which I may take up ...)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was interested in this, so did a google images search for year 1 class photo 2014. There didn't seem to be a huge difference. For instance, this was the 3rd class photo image, also years 1 & 2

y1-and-2-class-photo-2013.jpg

(that's it. I now return you to your discussions of the diet. Which I may take up ...)
I have to confess that I was basing my comments on what I see in the media. It is 20 years since I used to collect my stepdaughter from school so I don't tend to see large groups of young kids these days.

Thinking about it, the kids who play in the street round here are all a healthy weight. Mind you, children who play outdoors a lot are more likely to be ok. It's the ones whose parents never let them out, and who spend all their spare time on their phones and computers who don't get to burn off all those calories.

I certainly see far more obese teenagers and adults than I used to.

My sisters and I were slim until our 30s but all got fat in our 40s.

I don't have to make huge changes for my fasting days. Typically, if I am having a meal with steamed veg or a salad, I have only the salad or veg, and leave out any potatoes, cheese etc. (And no high calorie sauces or dressings.)

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Depends what you are eating on the non diet days.... Processed carbs could be giving you a sugar/ insulin rush.
(down from 78)
I didn't give it much thought really, I was just eating what I'd eat on a normal non fast day. Now I'm back on the 5:2, my appetite is back to normal.

ColinJ

my sister is impressed with what I achieved last year (and worried that at 5 inches shorter than me, she now weighs almost the same as me!) so she started today. 3 or 4 other women in her office asked what she was doing and now they have started too, and are forming an office support group. :bravo:
Tonight, I asked her how she is getting on. She has lost about 2 stone so far, pretty much a pound a week on average. She says that she is very strict on the fasting days (500 cals/day) and not particularly fussy on the non-fasting days, but roughly 2,000 cals/day. She has lost 7 inches off her bust, 5 inches off her waist, and 5 inches off her hips. She is very pleased with how it is going and is already starting to think ahead to the maintenance phase, once she reaches her target weight.

I am still trickling down towards my chosen size. I am happy for this last phase to take a while. I have lost 18 inches from my waist and only have about 3 inches to go. I am down about 63 pounds and would like to lose around 7 pounds more and that would probably do me.

potsy

Rambler
I am going to give this a go again, although I have an idea to do a 6:2 instead of the usual 5:2 for reasons that I hope will make sense.
When I tried it (5:2) last year I had some success but for various reasons didn't stick to it long enough to get where I wanted to be, my work situation has now changed and I am working a 4 on 4 off shift which I'm going to use as my basis for fasting.

Will be fasting on 1 of the 4 work days and 1 of the 4 off days, hopefully that will still have some good results but shouldn't be too restricting, have had a very poor 2014 so far so hoping this will improve things somewhat :blush:

ColinJ

I am going to give this a go again, although I have an idea to do a 6:2 instead of the usual 5:2 for reasons that I hope will make sense.
When I tried it (5:2) last year I had some success but for various reasons didn't stick to it long enough to get where I wanted to be, my work situation has now changed and I am working a 4 on 4 off shift which I'm going to use as my basis for fasting.

Will be fasting on 1 of the 4 work days and 1 of the 4 off days, hopefully that will still have some good results but shouldn't be too restricting, have had a very poor 2014 so far so hoping this will improve things somewhat :blush:
Good luck! If you fancy a ride over to Waddington some time (or anywhere else from Hebden Bridge) just let me know. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom