Fat blokes can ride too......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigCol

Hi All

Do you know anywhere in the UK that sells decent cycling gear for thinly challenged people?

I have been looking for a cycle top and waterproof jacket for a 50" chest and while I have found some odds and sods on ebay, I cannot find any decent branded kit.

I realise that cycling is generally geared for thinner people but a lot of people take up cycling to loose weight so may need larger clothing to start with.

Thanks!!

Hiya my husband had this problem earlier on this year and I ended up getting him some gear from America, the prices including p&p worked out about the same BUT I was in Edinburgh Cycles in Manchester on Sunday and they had some large sizes in there so have a look and try things on because the sizes xl and xxl doesn't mean the same in cycling clothing terms :biggrin: good luck and by the way he's lost 4 stone mainly by cycling

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Col, I've been using Prendas

http://www.prendas.co.uk/default.asp

If you e-mail, or call, them they'll advise what would be suitable based on your measurements. A good bit is you can search their website by the sizes you want.

I don't actually like regular cycling tops, I prefer a looser fit and a non-elasticated hem. I've found that the downhill/freeride MTB stuff fits the bill in this respect.

OP
OP
B

BigCol

Thanks, I'll take a look - agree with what you are saying about looser fits.

Ordered some Shimano XTR tops thinking they would be loose - ended up being a second skin - the wife still laughs uncontrollably when she thinks about it!

Bigtwin

I have a 48" chest and a 36" waist. Not much really fits well.

Exte Onda from Prendas does in an XXL, but is expensive.

Nalini sort of does a skin suit look in a 4XL, which is as big as I can find it. Generally anything Italian is a dead loss. I have a nice Campag fleece in XXL that fits like a wet suit.

Oddly, I have an Altura winter gillet which fits fine in an XL. They do them in XXL too.

I have a couple of things from Velogear in the US which are fine in an XL too.

kyuss

Veteran
Endura gear tends to be sized on the large size, especially their jackets, and they go up to an xxl.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
kyuss said:
Endura gear tends to be sized on the large size, especially their jackets, and they go up to an xxl.

yep, but problem is that cycling stuff seems to start so small, I've seen 34inch waist described as large and XXL being a 38 inch waist. On those numbers we're looking at sourcing 4XL and upwards.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi BigCol.

I'm another big Col, but not as big as you! (I'm a 42" chest, 45" expanded).

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions about the clothing.

I only live 'over the hill' from you in Hebden Bridge. I meet up with goodspeed from time to time to do local rides. He lives even closer to you, in Oxenhope. If you fancy joining us some time we could arrange something. :evil: We have ridden through Oakworth a couple of times this year.

MacBludgeon said:
yep, but problem is that cycling stuff seems to start so small, I've seen 34inch waist described as large and XXL being a 38 inch waist. On those numbers we're looking at sourcing 4XL and upwards.

Endura seem to have revamped their sizing (after years of people moaning about it)- have a look at the guide on their site. The sizing charts on Wiggle and CRC were out of date for ages (and still are in places) - I emailed Endura for guidance and they pointed me their site guide, which for me, at the larger end of the scale, is pretty accurate. Singletrack shorts wise an XXL fits my 40" waist nicely loose and and their FS260 Pro shorts actually comes up just a bit too big in XXL, although the bib knicker version of these is a perfect fit.

Top Bottom