Fat Tire Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgs315

One trait I do kinda like about them is the road noise. When pootling to Brighton on the L2B this year with a few mates whenever someone was riding one of these behind us I thought we were being followed by a car they were that noisy. They certainly have a presence about them.

Alan O

Über Member
Do they go across water?
In the winter, maybe, sometimes

Alan O

Über Member
They were designed for Alaskan''s to reach further in to the wilderness.
Then us non snow type people discovered they were awesome on sand, as long as you use dry lube on the drive train.
I've been riding fat bikes for almost 10 years (in November) now up here on the Merseyside coast.
About 4 years ago every bike manufacturer and his dog launched a fat bike, that then flooded the market with them, then that flooded the 2nd hand market with those who didn't really have a need for one and in a way killed off fat bikes growth here in the UK.
Not one mainstream manufacturer launched a fat bike this year they have all moved in to E bikes.

I love mine and while I can still get parts I will always ride them but try before you buy and look at the 2nd hand market for as new bikes out there
That's where I've seen them most - around the coasts and dunes of Merseyside. And they do seem to work surprisingly well on sandy and/or wet terrain - far more capable than my MTB.

I'd like to be able to ride around the coast more, including around the Wirral - I remember years ago riding out across Ainsdale beach on a road bike, until I got thrown off as it disappeared into a quicksand-y patch beneath me. But 2nd hand fat bikes would have to come down to 2nd hand MTB prices before I'd buy one for such limited use.

Oh, I read an article once about fat bikes being used to get around Antarctic bases - easy to ride, and with the added bonus of no pollution. Can't remember where I read it, unfortunately.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A couple of weeks ago I was climbing a local hill by the long side (Jeffrey Hill on Longridge Fell for locals) when a fat bike came down towards me. The noise the tyres made was something else, it sounded like our old ex-MOD Land Rover, which had huge 750x16 Michelin XCL tyres with a block pattern like chocolate bars that make a very distinctive sound, so distinctive that sometimes pedestrians would turn round expecting to see an Army convoy approaching.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't get started on 'plus' tyres for MTB's - it's all getting very confusing (plus being less than 3")

I imagine they are great fun, but I notice more drag from the 2.4" tyres on my classic MTB to when it had 2.1-2.3 tyres. Grip is great on the fatter tyres, and you run lower pressure, which increases grip on rocks and roots, especially if wet.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

View attachment 425400 I’ve hired a fat bike in Lanzarote.
Great fun to ride over anything, even surprisingly faster and smoother than I’d expected on the road too.
Can’t wait to go back!

I like your bike. Really nice looking. How noisy are the tires on pavement? I ask, as my old mountain bike tires hummed a bit, and I was wondering, considering the larger tires that they must be a bit more noisy than a regular mountain bike tire.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

A couple of weeks ago I was climbing a local hill by the long side (Jeffrey Hill on Longridge Fell for locals) when a fat bike came down towards me. The noise the tyres made was something else, it sounded like our old ex-MOD Land Rover, which had huge 750x16 Michelin XCL tyres with a block pattern like chocolate bars that make a very distinctive sound, so distinctive that sometimes pedestrians would turn round expecting to see an Army convoy approaching.

I just asked how noisy the tires were on Mrs M's bike.

So they are that noisy. I wonder if different tread patterns might make a difference then. I guess, if anything, as a safety factor other riders on a path or trail will know you are coming. ^_^

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Oh, I read an article once about fat bikes being used to get around Antarctic bases - easy to ride, and with the added bonus of no pollution. Can't remember where I read it, unfortunately.

A perfect use for them. They would make a good commute bike, then, for those who live where they get snow. I wonder if you can get studded tires?

simonali

Guru
They were designed for Alaskan''s to reach further in to the wilderness.
Then us non snow type people discovered they were awesome on sand, as long as you use dry lube on the drive train.
I've been riding fat bikes for almost 10 years (in November) now up here on the Merseyside coast.
About 4 years ago every bike manufacturer and his dog launched a fat bike, that then flooded the market with them, then that flooded the 2nd hand market with those who didn't really have a need for one and in a way killed off fat bikes growth here in the UK.
Not one mainstream manufacturer launched a fat bike this year they have all moved in to E bikes.

I love mine and while I can still get parts I will always ride them but try before you buy and look at the 2nd hand market for as new bikes out there

Shand still make one. It's only 4 grand!

https://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/tumshie/

Mrs M

Guru
I like your bike. Really nice looking. How noisy are the tires on pavement? I ask, as my old mountain bike tires hummed a bit, and I was wondering, considering the larger tires that they must be a bit more noisy than a regular mountain bike tire.
They are pretty noisy, a nice loud whirring sound but roll along nicely :becool:

Top Bottom