Fat Tire Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rockn Robin

I'm curious. After seeing a few of these fat tire bikes on the road, I'm wondering what they must be like to ride. Are they designed for a smoother ride on rougher roads? I can't imagine getting up much speed on one, but they sure are unique looking.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think they are a design exercise to make a 'cool' looking good bike and consequently sell more bikes for the maker. I'm sure they provide a cushioned ride and are supposed to be for use on soft loose surfaces like sand.
I've tried a budget model and it was very heavy and slow. Whether more expense are any better I don't know but in all they are for show rather than go for sure. I'm sure owners may disagree!
@fossala has one I think.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
There was a bike-packing event on in the Lakes a few weekends ago and Ambleside was full of rugged-looking blokes with beards riding fat bikes all loaded up with kit bags strapped on all over them. It looked like a bit of a fashion parade, I'm sorry to say.

Sixmile

Veteran
I had thought about getting one when CRC had some for around £500. I thought they'd be a good machine for the occasional snow/frost commute and also more of a workout when out with the kids

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I think they are a design exercise to make a 'cool' looking good bike and consequently sell more bikes for the maker. I'm sure they provide a cushioned ride and are supposed to be for use on soft loose surfaces like sand.
I've tried a budget model and it was very heavy and slow. Whether more expense are any better I don't know but in all they are for show rather than go for sure. I'm sure owners may disagree!
@fossala has one I think.

They are a bit cool looking, and perhaps you'r right that they might lend themselves to sand, or maybe snow. I wouldn't mind trying one for fun.

Johan, 'I want to see the world' bloke, has been using one for a while, seems to get around alright; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp7OjrlC6aM

Mrs M

Guru
0D76AA51-9FAB-4271-88FF-2645E97E597C.jpeg
I’ve hired a fat bike in Lanzarote.
Great fun to ride over anything, even surprisingly faster and smoother than I’d expected on the road too.
Can’t wait to go back!

They were designed for Alaskan''s to reach further in to the wilderness.
Then us non snow type people discovered they were awesome on sand, as long as you use dry lube on the drive train.
I've been riding fat bikes for almost 10 years (in November) now up here on the Merseyside coast.
About 4 years ago every bike manufacturer and his dog launched a fat bike, that then flooded the market with them, then that flooded the 2nd hand market with those who didn't really have a need for one and in a way killed off fat bikes growth here in the UK.
Not one mainstream manufacturer launched a fat bike this year they have all moved in to E bikes.

I love mine and while I can still get parts I will always ride them but try before you buy and look at the 2nd hand market for as new bikes out there

Last edited:
Top Bottom