Fat vs Sugar Documentary tonight BBC 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In the run up to a recent operation I was subjected to a full medical / physical check up, everything was fine, the nurse carrying out the examination was obese. Is this not sending out the wrong message?
A consultant did his rounds the morning after I was admitted back to hospital last year. He did not have access to my original notes because the NHS has not yet managed to set up a sensible national database and I was in a different area to the hospital where my notes were stored. So, he had to ask me what my medical history was, and how I came to be in an A&E ward at his hospital ...

I explained that I used to be slim and fit, but had gradually put on weight and generally adopted a sedentary lifestyle, with only occasional strenuous exercise to try and make up for it, all of which which put me at risk of clotting. He was scribbling notes and nodding in agreement. I couldn't help but notice that he was a giant of a man - about 6' 4" tall and at least 18 stone.

I told him that the trigger for the clots was 2 long journeys by train, coach and car while wearing trousers that had last fitted me properly when I had been 40+ pounds lighter. The trousers were so tight that they had effectively created tourniquets round the top of each leg, cutting off the blood supply. He looked up at me over the top of his glasses, looked down at his own legs which were straining to burst out of his trousers, and announced that he was going out to buy some bigger clothes as soon as his shift finished! :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
I can't help feeling some people are being unnecessarily critical of overweight doctors and nurses (and I remember the GP I saw as a child was a chain smoker).

These people work long hours in very stressful jobs, are human, are probably often tired and susceptible to quick pick me ups and comforters like the rest of us. In an ideal world they would set a good example but so long as they can do their job if I require treatment is all I ask of them.

As an aside, a veyr overweight friend of my dad's who loves his fish and chips got a telling off from a heart consultant at the hospital about the dangers of fatty food. A few hours later, he and his wife go into a cafe and he was about to order fish and chips when he realised his consultant was standing in the queue behind him so asked for a salad instead. The consultant congratulated him and then ordered sausage, egg and chips for himself!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That's me fecked then.......I absolutely love my bread. It's the one thing I don't think I could give up!
Not to mention beer and bananas.

LimeBurn

Über Member
I hate it when the media just gets on the latest band wagon - sugar vs fatty. What next chain smoking vs binge drinking, Heroin Vs Crack Cocaine.

Ian A

Über Member
For an expert, Dr Lustig has a bit of a gut :hungry:

I like some of the articles Gary Taubes has written (although some of his claims have been questioned by many people) but the best comment I heard about him was that every time he does a presentation he looks like he's just come off a three day bender. I appreciate doctors work long hours and have stressful jobs but the health experts who are at a stage in their career/fame where they can earn large amounts of money and choose their workload should really look at setting a good example.

Top Bottom