Favorite back roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flatflr

Guru
A borderline case, perhaps, as it's a B-road for part of its length, but my nomination is the Lambourn Valley road heading north-westwards from Newbury.
I grew up in Kingsclere, 7 miles south-east from Newbury, and after riding there it very often came next. Nowadays it's not quite so close to home.

Yesterday evening I was travelling back from Newbury without time pressure, and the road was quiet enough to drive at cycling pace (if you're Bernard Hinault). I stopped at the Ashdown House car park to brew a cup of tea (how middle aged) and took a few pictures:

View attachment 348719
View attachment 348720

It was a pleasant, warmish, sombre evening. I saw one cyclist, just approaching Lambourn on the way down, in full helmetless touring set-up. Lucky chap.

Seeing the sheep and sarsens put me in mind of a whimsical opera by the English composer, Harrison Birtwistle, Yan Tan Tethera. Amongst my planned rides I have one that will take me over from Wantage and through this part of the valley. With a little tweaking I should be able to make it come out at 123 miles. No question, this has to happen.

Rode the Lambourn Vally road on Sunday after riding from Newbury to Great Shefford up to the The Ridgeway and back down. Just a shame that the surface is so bad in places:sad:

My Favourite is the Great Shefford to The Ridgeway stretch either up or down, a smooth surface with a gentle gradient and a great view at the top, and then a spin back down.

There's so many to choose from.

The road west of the Lune between Halton (Lancaster) and Kirkby Lonsdale is by no means traffic free (not really a 'back' road but compared to the road running up the east side of the river, it is). It's got a tunnel of trees and a panoramic view of the Cumbrian mountains, Ingleborough, the Bowland Fells, plenty of ups and downs and is far superior to the alternative A683
Not sure if thatcis were i was on sat morning before the storms. Lovely roads. Also love the ascent/descent of Middleto fell.

Attachments

• 20170527_071451.jpg
    20170527_071451.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom