Favorite back roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
We all have our favorite back roads to ride ... This is currently top of my list - Ravenstone to Stoke Goldington, in that little corner where Northants, Bucks and Beds come together. Not a long way but a real joy to ride.

New tarmac, rolling countryside, almost always care free, I would recommend it to anyone.

upload_2017-4-13_13-16-53.png

Drago

Legendary Member
I know that road well Mr Bloke, not far from me. Easy to get lost!

My favourite is not far from yours. From the village of Hartwell, in a loop down to Bozenham Mill, then swing around and cross the county line into Buckinghamshire, through Pindon End and emerge into Hanslope. Not a huge route, can be disposed of comfortably in an hour, but takes in rural areas, farmland, river, railway, quite a few interesting sights in a low traffic environment

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
This is mine - don't ride it often as it's the other end of the country, but I've stopped up the top there a few times (in the car as well as on the bike) and watched the sun start to go down over the hills. In the right spot you can't see or hear the M6 to your west, and only the tarmac says you're not in the wilderness. It's that wide open spaces feeling. There are lots of other good roads that give similar views and feelings, but that's the stretch that sticks in my mind, perhaps because I've diverted off the M6 there on long journeys a couple of times to spend 15 mins looking at the sunbeams slanting down through gaps in the clouds.

B6261 between Shap and Orton, Cumbria.
upload_2017-4-13_13-30-41.png

upload_2017-4-13_13-31-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-13_13-31-38.png
    upload_2017-4-13_13-31-38.png
    278.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
I know that road well Mr Bloke, not far from me. Easy to get lost!

My favourite is not far from yours. From the village of Hartwell, in a loop down to Bozenham Mill, then swing around and cross the county line into Buckinghamshire, through Pindon End and emerge into Hanslope. Not a huge route, can be disposed of comfortably in an hour, but takes in rural areas, farmland, river, railway, quite a few interesting sights in a low traffic environment
I was introduced to that loop a couple of weeks ago. Its amazing how you have be cycling in the area and not pick up these little gems. As you say its a really nice little loop.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I was introduced to that loop a couple of weeks ago. Its amazing how you have be cycling in the area and not pick up this little gems. As you say its a really nice little loop.

You would've come close to Drago Manor. Let me know when you're planning to do it again and I could join you, finish up with a coffee and sticky bun in them forest Cafe.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I really like Widdop Road between Slack (above Hebden Bridge) and Thursden (above Colne). I don't have my nice summer photos to hand, so here are some winter ones instead ...
Winter view looking back at Widdop Reservoir towards Hebden Bridge.jpg
Widdop Road looking towards Colne.jpg
Widdop Reservoir under winter sun.jpg
Winter view of Blake Dean from Widdop Road.jpg
Rainbow over Widdop Reservoir.jpg
Highland cattle at Widdop reservoir.jpg
Going down then going up Widdop Road.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There's so many to choose from.

The road west of the Lune between Halton (Lancaster) and Kirkby Lonsdale is by no means traffic free (not really a 'back' road but compared to the road running up the east side of the river, it is). It's got a tunnel of trees and a panoramic view of the Cumbrian mountains, Ingleborough, the Bowland Fells, plenty of ups and downs and is far superior to the alternative A683

There's a little lane from the A683 up to Brookhouse. It's only about 1/4 of a mile but it's lovely as it gets into the village, almost lost in time. Best going up than down.

Top Bottom