Favorite back roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
The cobbles at Grappenhall. Good local ride for testing if the bike has anything loose.
grphl.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There are zillions around here. But the one that sticks in my memory was the Marishes Low Road that we took on last year's Leeds-Scarborough CC ride. It's near Malton

It's about 10km long and completely flat. We rode it with a stonking tailwind in warm sunshine and I think we came across only one car. Just zooming along at 18mph with very little effort having a chat with the other participants. Lovely

Mr Celine

Discordian
Proper back roads are ones that the Google streetview car hasn't driven. Like this one -

SDC10361.JPG

The strava segment from here to the end of the public road has been attempted all of 36 times by 29 strava-ists. Since this photo was taken the road was destroyed by timber lorries but has since been resurfaced and is now billiard table smooth.

Unclassified road from B709 to Ettrick Head.

robjh

Legendary Member
The wilds of the Cambridgeshire/Essex/Hertfordshire borderlands will never compete on hills and rugged grandeur with some of the above, but this road IMO is one of the very best for miles around. Coploe Hill between Ickleton (Cambs.) and Catmere End/Strethall (Essex).
20160203 (6) Coploe Hill road.jpg

upload_2017-4-13_20-31-36.png

D

Deleted member 1258

I haven't got a road that's a favourite, I just enjoy the rolling lanes in Warwickshire and think it's great that some routes take me into Leicestershire or down into the cotswolds, or across into Northamptonshire, and that cycling has taken me into places that otherwise I wouldn't have seen.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A short bit of favourite lane, a bit nearer to home for me - from Thorner, via Milner Lane to East Rigton; on via Compton Lane to Collingham. I like riding lanes along the ridge tops :smile:.

This loop is one of many - at East Rigton I'll take Bramham Lane instead and despite the frequently muddy surface it's a lovely, virtually traffic free lane all the way back to Thorner Lane, leaving you free to loop back via Jewitt Lane, or carry on to Bramham and the delights that lay beyond.

And there is also the loop around Church Fenton Aerodrome (Leeds East Airport), much of which is isolated, traffic free loveliness.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The cobbles at Grappenhall. Good local ride for testing if the bike has anything loose.
View attachment 347241

I thought that looked familiar so checked my RideWithGPS records. Did it in November 2012. Amazingly enough the bike and I made it through in one piece :wacko:........just.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are zillions around here. But the one that sticks in my memory was the Marishes Low Road that we took on last year's Leeds-Scarborough CC ride. It's near Malton

It's about 10km long and completely flat. We rode it with a stonking tailwind in warm sunshine and I think we came across only one car. Just zooming along at 18mph with very little effort having a chat with the other participants. Lovely
I was telling postie about that road today on his old Scarborough ride thread.

It is on the long flat section between the second (small) hill, and the third (larger) hill just outside Scarborough on this profile. With that heavenly tailwind, it was great. What a nightmare it would have been riding in the opposite direction!

Buttercrambe to Scarborough.gif

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Part of my favorite loop is a single track road between Belton and Shepshed part of Ncr6 . Virtually traffic free rolling terrain . Always enjoy riding that bit . It's a strava segment so sometimes I ride it fast sometimes I ride it slow and enjoy the views but either way it makes me smile .
Ridden it many times, it's part of one of my routes up to Derby.

iggibizzle

This is mine - don't ride it often as it's the other end of the country, but I've stopped up the top there a few times (in the car as well as on the bike) and watched the sun start to go down over the hills. In the right spot you can't see or hear the M6 to your west, and only the tarmac says you're not in the wilderness. It's that wide open spaces feeling. There are lots of other good roads that give similar views and feelings, but that's the stretch that sticks in my mind, perhaps because I've diverted off the M6 there on long journeys a couple of times to spend 15 mins looking at the sunbeams slanting down through gaps in the clouds.

B6261 between Shap and Orton, Cumbria.
View attachment 347199

View attachment 347201

I'm actually going along that on Sunday, maybe. Saw it on my o/S map yesterday. Gonna park at Kendal, check out the shap tt course and then either go on to hartside or swing up this road and do Dunn Fell. See what the wind is like !

Top Bottom