Favourite cheese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slim

Über Member
Melvil;34555][quote name= said:
Grilled halloumi cheese. Mmmmm... :blush:

But Halloumi cheese tastes nothing like cheese, doesn't it? Still tastes real good, though :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

It's a bit difficult to get hold of outside the Cypriot communities but you should try the "village" Halloumi. It's nothing like the rubbery stuff the supermarkets stock. Quite a bit harder and flakier. The good stuff has quite a bit of ewe's milk in it. It should be stored in brine to keep it from going rock hard.

I would like to put in a word for the honourable chevre, or goat cheese. With at least a glass of red...my I can pig out!

Also, Mrs Aperitif makes deep fried Camambert - rolls a full cheese in oaty spicy concoction and slips it into the fat. Ten billion calories and a few dollops of cranberry sauce later, one is 'well stuffed'.:blush: It is only a starter though...:rolleyes:

barq

Slim;34562][QUOTE=Melvil said:
But Halloumi cheese tastes nothing like cheese, doesn't it? Still tastes real good, though :rolleyes:
It's a bit difficult to get hold of outside the Cypriot communities but you should try the "village" Halloumi. It's nothing like the rubbery stuff the supermarkets stock. Quite a bit harder and flakier. The good stuff has quite a bit of ewe's milk in it. It should be stored in brine to keep it from going rock hard.[/QUOTE]

It is quite unlike most other cheeses - but then people had listed all my favourites so I had to say something else! :biggrin: It always reminds me of bacon once it's grilled or fried. Fortunately one of my friends is Cypriot so every time she cooks I end up being given the 'real thing'. :blush::sad:

ladyjulian

Any sort of goat cheese.

In pasta with peas, or on French bread with grapes, or in a salad with walnuts....

...mmmm.....

domtyler

Über Member
Me and my missus spent five years hunting down new cheeses for the fridge every week, then one day I bought a really top drawer piece of Stilton and nearly passed out with sensory overload with the first mouthful. So you can keep all your fancy foreign cheeses, Stilton is where it's at!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Reblechon. It's a really creamy cheese from the French Alps, and it is lovely either as it is or as part of a tartiflette.
Mind you, I've never had a cheese I didn't like. Not sure about the magotty Spanish one though...:rolleyes:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I like foreign cheeses! Anything from the Alpine region tastes good, with happy cows grazing on the mountainside and a fresh cool breeze blowing across their udders.

But still not as good as Double Gloucester, Red Leicester or Cheddar, though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If offered a variety, I'll try most sorts and enjoy all but the very strong, but when it comes to buying it for pigging out on, it's Red Leicester as default...

If you wanted to kill me, you'd just have to leave me in a room with about a tonne of Red Leicester, cut into handy little morsels. I'd explode.

In France last year, one hotel we stayed at had, not a cheese board, but a cheese trolley! French for trolley is chariot, so we were giggling all the next day about the "Chariot de Fromage". Theme music by Vangelis of course.

I'm also very fond of a nice Wensleydale with caramalised onion chutney.

Mmmm, hungry now....

Big Bren

caramalised onion chutney

That stuff kicks arse, if it's possible for an onion based condiment to do so.

Anyhow, back to cheese - a good strong mature cheddar in a butty (with the above) or a nice crisp salad with lots of feta.

Bren

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Lightly salted feta cheese with narn bread and honey dew melon
Red Leicester with homemade green tomato chutney
Stilton on digestives with real butter.

Right, I'm off to make a sandwich !

LLB

User76 said:
Cheddar of course:biggrin:

Proper Cheddar mind, not that yellow muck you buy in supermarkets by the half hundredweight for £3.00.

Here is some being made http://cheddarvision.tv/

These people make the best cheddar I've ever tasted http://www.godsellscheese.co.uk/. They are near Stroud and supply to Harrods amongst other places, Its not cheap, but make all the other (seriously strong) cheddars I've tasted seem like Dairylea by comparison.

Worth a try if you can get hold of it ;)

Top Bottom