Favourite feathered bird?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
It seems like there's a few twitchers on here but you don't have to be one to appreciate them.

My favourite is the Wren :tongue:. Love 'em.
Depending on the year they are Britains first or second most populous bird swapping places with chaffinches apparently.

Arch

Married to Night Train
longers said:
It seems like there's a few twitchers on here but you don't have to be one to appreciate them.

My favourite is the Wren :tongue:. Love 'em.
Depending on the year they are Britains first or second most populous bird swapping places with chaffinches apparently.

Don't know if I have a favourite - they all have their own particular aspects to like - beauty (eg: Robin, Goldfinch etc), intelligence (corvids), power (birds of prey), physical strength (migratory birds of all sorts), or sheer comedy value (puffins).

I think Puffins might win, because above all, I like to laugh.

i heard lots of wrens recently on a local walk... i've only seen about half a dozen.

my fave... great crested grebe. very charismatic birds. i've seen a pair exchanging "gifts" during courtship and also seen parents feeding a grebelet that was on an adult's back.

i'm also partial to swans, they're a very calming bird and i've chatted to them many a time when times are bad. i've also been protected by one when a canada goose decided to peck at me.

blackbirds are my fave garden bird.

birds of prey are cool and there's a kestrel nearby. i've also seen sparrowhawks up close. red kites are amazing.

col

Legendary Member
I have an interest,but know nothing really,but when i was out one summer(with my bino's) at my fave spot next to the river,i turned round and saw a lessr spotted woodpecker only yards away in a tree,it took off straight away,but i got a good eyefull,made my day.Its between that and a kingfisher for me,oh and a wagtail,the black and white ones too.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Please excuse my puzzlement. If Lawrence lets you walk around the park on your own such a lot, do you have a homing instinct?
When you mention blackbirds being your favourite, is that for a main course or desert? By the way, do you have a nest and how large is it?
I never know what to do with the lovely soft fluffy fluff that comes from my tumble drier? is it useful to you for a comfy base in your nest?

I frequently have a woodpecker in my back garden, and also a pheasant, who walks about like he owns the garden.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Wildfowl and specifically ducks. Like Rhythm Thief I really like Mallards even though there are millions of them about. Have had some Robins in the garden this year which has been nice.

oooooooh, lapwings! lovely birds. also known as peewits, due to their call. you can try and impress her with this bit of knowledge i have about them.... they won't nest close to tall trees (as in a few hundred yards). the reason is is that crows and other predators use the trees to look for food and chicks are a nice snack.

the WWT found this out (the hard way) and they're trying to get rid of some of the trees on their reserves. when they removed some from part of the Welney centre they found the lapwings started nesting on the ground close to where they had been, an area previously unused by the birds.

there ya go, useless trivia.

Speicher said:
Please excuse my puzzlement. If Lawrence lets you walk around the park on your own such a lot, do you have a homing instinct?
When you mention blackbirds being your favourite, is that for a main course or desert? By the way, do you have a nest and how large is it?
I never know what to do with the lovely soft fluffy fluff that comes from my tumble drier? is it useful to you for a comfy base in your nest?

I frequently have a woodpecker in my back garden, and also a pheasant, who walks about like he owns the garden.

send the fluff my way... it's always handy, especially in the cold winter.

what type of woodpecker? green, spotted? they're sweet birds.

i think you'll find that the pheasant has a human living in the house next to their garden

bonj2

Quite like albatrosses, there's a family of them nesting on the roof of the factory opposite me and sometimes the adult ones will come and perch on my balcony and peck breadcrumbs out of my hand.

SamNichols

bonj said:
Quite like albatrosses, there's a family of them nesting on the roof of the factory opposite me and sometimes the adult ones will come and perch on my balcony and peck breadcrumbs out of my hand.

An albatross following you is a bad sign in life, Bonj. A very bad sign indeed.

Top Bottom