Favourite feathered bird?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like anything that lands on my birdfeeder; but seeing as it's fallen off the line and been nicked by summat .......... There'a a reward for anyone who finds it (£3: I can buy a new one otherwise!) :tongue:

Oh! And Kingfishers - seen very few but fantastic when you do

bonj said:
Quite like albatrosses, there's a family of them nesting on the roof of the factory opposite me and sometimes the adult ones will come and perch on my balcony and peck breadcrumbs out of my hand.
That's a seagull you dotty little pilchard. :tongue:

I like seagulls. :tongue:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
laurence said:
send the fluff my way... it's always handy, especially in the cold winter.

what type of woodpecker? green, spotted? they're sweet birds.

i think you'll find that the pheasant has a human living in the house next to their garden

It is a green woodpecker. He certainly lives up to his name. I say "his" because I thought the more colourful birdies were the male of the species.
Shows you how much I know about our feathered friends.

Where is the best place to put the tumble drier fluff? I don't want it to blow away too far before the birds find it, will they find it if I put it under a few lightweight twigs? Should I save it til nest building time, or do birdies have nests all year round?

From my seat at this computer, if I turn and look out of the window, I can see lots of birds. :tongue: There is a large pale brown one, sitting on the fence, some teeny weeny ones in the large willow tree. My cat is asleep in the lounge at the moment. He is very large, but completely white all over, so I think the birds can see him from a long way off, when he ventures into the garden. There is now another bird on the fence, very large, different colour of grey. Mr Squirrel is now in the tree, grey not red, he often does a hoppity skippity jump along the fence. There is a bird box in one of the trees in next door's garden, but birds seem to ignore it.

I enjoy talking to a very intelligent bird (emu) but did you know you are talking to a boat:blush:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
If I had to pick just one then Ravens are pretty stunning birds. Large, Glossy and intelligent.

Red Kites are fantastic but there's something about Buzzards when they're mewing over the desolate hilltops of Whales that always gets me :tongue:

As far as garden birds go, i'm quite fond of sparrows. Cute, chirpy and ingenious :tongue:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My fave birs are the edible sort...Chicken, Goose, duck (turkey), Ostrich, pheasants, guinea-fowl etc.

Of the others, I'm quite a fan of the Blackbird and the speckly shiny Starling

Abitrary

I like magpies. I saw on TV the other day that they are the cleverest bird, but get a rough deal because people think they're crows

bonj2

No, the cleverest bird is Carol Vorderman :tongue:

heee heeee heee...IGMC!

Speicher said:
Where is the best place to put the tumble drier fluff? I don't want it to blow away too far before the birds find it, will they find it if I put it under a few lightweight twigs? Should I save it til nest building time, or do birdies have nests all year round?

I enjoy talking to a very intelligent bird (emu) but did you know you are talking to a boat:blush:

you could put the fluff on tree branches... or, get an old tennis ball and lop the top off and fill the inside with fluff and hang it from a branch or the fence. never know, might get a wren in there!

the nests are mainly for eggs, so spring is a good time, but some do have have nests all year round.

EMU!!!! that's a terrible insult for a Nene

longers said:
It seems like there's a few twitchers on here but you don't have to be one to appreciate them.

Ahem, twitchers are obsessive listers and their favourite bird is the one they want for the current list. It is usually something that they've got to fly to Fair Isle for.

gbb

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
I like magpies. I saw on TV the other day that they are the cleverest bird, but get a rough deal because people think they're crows

They also get a bad press because they are merciless takers of young birds from the nest. :tongue:
They are seen as a major threat to songbird populations.

My favourite...well i cant put it down to one...

No....i cant, i like so many :evil:

Water Rail...beautiful rich colours
Red Kite...and more rarely seen Marsh harriers. Lazy and serene...just slowy flapping along doing their thing.
Robins...Brave and busy.
Yellowhammer...dont know why...just get a buzz seeing them.
Lapwings...yes. There used to be some fields nearby where they used to nest en mass...you could regularly find nests with eggs.
Sadly...those fields made way (as well as hundreds of acres of disused brickpits) for a housing development and warehousing :smile:

Abitrary

gbb said:
They also get a bad press because they are merciless takers of young birds from the nest. :evil:
They are seen as a major threat to songbird populations.

Yes, I was actually just having second thoughts about the magpie and I'd now like to change mine to the owl, which is definitely a wise bird

gbb said:
They also get a bad press because they are merciless takers of young birds from the nest. :tongue:

so do herons, they ate all the avocet chicks at the london wetlands centre last year.

saw a water rail today... it swam past a hide at the wetlands centre. everyone else was looking out across the lake and missed it... for irony, it even looked into the hide. meanwhile i was so engrossed with it i forgot to take a picture. :evil:

Top Bottom