Favourite film?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Or then I'll have film experiences like

Groundhog Day
Still Life

that catch me at a particular time, in a particular mood or frame of mind. Such films, I'll remember for when and where I saw them as much as for the film itself. Does that make them worthy of being called favourite?

Ice Cold in Alex.
Zulu.
This could easily become a top 10.

yello

Groundhog Day is a funny one for me too. Every time I see it, it doesn't strike me as profoundly as it did that first time I saw it. Which is kind of ironic given the nature of the film. If I thought the director (Harold Ramis) had intended it to have effect, I'd call it a work of genius!

But it did start me on the trail of Bill Murray. For which I'm thankful for. Oh, and BTW, 'Ghost Busters' would be a favourite film of mine too... but it didn't instantly come to mind, I needed reminding. That's favourite for you.

yello

From memory, 'The Tin Drum' film and book differ significantly somehow? Does the film not end as the book does???

I remember reading the book and then being a little let down by the film.... but I don't remember why exactly.

[QUOTE 3746176, member: 259"]It can't surely be as bad as the English Patient?[/QUOTE]
Still, the English Patient has the sexiest pair of scenes: the first, when he rips off her dress/blouse; then the post coital scene, when he sews it up again.

I had such a crush on Ralph (pronounced Rafe), so died a little inside when I saw Skyfall.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm surprised someone else has seen that gorefest. It's a hoot if you like that kind of thing!

I saw it as Braindead before the director's more well known efforts.

Bad Taste is my favourite of Jackson's efforts. Apparently he used a scalpel to scratch the machine gun fire onto the film stock.

yello

I've seen 'Bad Taste' too. And I'll raise you; have you seen 'The Valley'? Nah, don't worry. I'm showing off.

I was at college with Jackson and a group of us made Super 8 films together. 'The Valley' was one of them and was in competition in the NZ equivalent of Blue Peter. We didn't win but got a commendation for (surprise surprise) the special effects. Other films were WW2, James Bond, Ray Harryhausen or zombie inspired. Yes, negatives were scratched (or pierced) to get gun fire.

It was all just school kids larking around for me but he obviously went on to greater things than I! Seriously though, his commitment to it was obvious.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3746183, member: 9609"]Pulp Fiction, Horse Whisperer, Gladiator, are three that come to mind, but probably the most memorable (and in the context of watching it 35 years ao as a young teenager) would be The Graduate[/QUOTE]
People forget just how good The Graduate was/is. I rewatched it with friends recently and we were all blown away by the performances, the script, the soundtrack and perhaps above all, the cinematography. From opening credits to fade to black there's not a shot in it that couldn't be turned into a perfectly composed still photograph. Brilliantly of its time; also timeless.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF7Hh8jQftw

Top Bottom