Favourite flat roads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tomm Williams

Out in the orchard areas of Northern California. I’ve been riding out here for quite some time hoping to attempt a self supported double century, not there yet !

Attachments

• IMG_7011.png
    IMG_7011.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 5

colly

Re member eR
Exeter Quay to Dawlish Warren along the ship canal & Exe estuary is a beautiful 11mile ride along NCN2. The only climb is over the railway at Powderham.
View attachment 692940

View attachment 692941

I went past there on the train last week. I imagined it would be a nice place to ride. :okay:

colly

Re member eR
Speaking of flat rides; I was this very morning taken to riding somewhere steady and flat. From here it's little lumpy getting there and as a consequence it's lumpy getting back.
As per @ColinJ 's 'Garforth Ride' comments in the thread the roads east of Leeds are pretty flat. The main road out to Selby is super flat and apart from a couple of bridges there is noting to climb. It's a little busy though (or seemed to be this morning at least).
Ot the return I came via the very quiet road through Gateforth and a 3 mile stretch between there and Monk Fryston varies by only 30ft or so. I particularly enjoyed that part of the ride. Warm sun, a flat pleasant smooth road, grassy verges and fields of crops growing apace in the warm weather. All that and nary a hint of any car, motrobike or truck.
flat gateforth to Monk Fryston.png

geocycle

Legendary Member
Good thread!

Lyth valley in south lakes is relatively flat and a lovely place to ride. There is also a route from Levens to Grange on the old road. In fact much the Bay cycle way from Barrow to Glasson is fairly flat. Another area most definitely flat is the Fylde down beyond the Ribble to Southport although traffic can be an issue. Parts of the middle and lower Eden valley are also flattish especially as you head toward the Solway.

I find very flat landscapes difficult, while I’m no mountain goat I do like some variety.

Top Bottom