Favourite flat roads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Denton Road at Yardley Chase. So flat and straight they used to land Lysanders on it during the war

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This is a fairly flat quiet lane within an hour of the house.

IMG_5218.jpeg

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I live in the flat bit of East Yorkshire, which as a whole is fairly flat... So most of them :smile:

See photo from today...

Attachments

• IMG_0337.jpeg
    IMG_0337.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 7

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
There are not many flat bits of road near to where I live. In fact I live at the top of an 8% hill and the quickest access to the countryside is via Clent hills. But there is a stretch of about 1km on the way home along Bartley Green Reservoir, which has the smoothest tarmac and views across the water. It's the very last bit of non-urban scenery and means I almost home.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The geological formation that forms the Blackdown Hills and East Devon Hills (both AONBs) has been described as an 'incised plain' - incised by river valleys, that is, but from a distance looking like a flat elevated area. Once you have winched your way up to about 250-300m above sea-level you can travel for miles in certain directions on quiet straight level roads.
The Somerset Levels are almost an inversion of the Blackdowns - flat almost sea-level moors traversed by ridges of around 100m elevation.
Both yield interesting flat cycling routes, albeit with challenges at start or finish.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are a few quiet roads round here which are 'flattish' but they tend to take a lot of climbing to get to so they probably don't count! The valley roads ARE 'flattish' but they are too busy.

My favourite 'flattish' roads in Yorkshire are those that I tackle on my Garforth forum ride. I take my singlespeed bike out on the train and can happily potter about all day out there in one gear.

Garforth route almost pan-flat...
Nearly pan flat metric century Garforth Tadcaster.png

All uphill

Still rolling along
The geological formation that forms the Blackdown Hills and East Devon Hills (both AONBs) has been described as an 'incised plain' - incised by river valleys, that is, but from a distance looking like a flat elevated area. Once you have winched your way up to about 250-300m above sea-level you can travel for miles in certain directions on quiet straight level roads.
The Somerset Levels are almost an inversion of the Blackdowns - flat almost sea-level moors traversed by ridges of around 100m elevation.
Both yield interesting flat cycling routes, albeit with challenges at start or finish.

I'd agree with both of those.

Here's a view from the top of the Blackdowns from November 2021.
20211102_103930.jpg

And one from the levels. Andersea comes from On the Sea, so called by Dutch engineers draining the area. Now 6 miles from the coast.

20211025_104517.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I live in the flat bit of East Yorkshire, which as a whole is fairly flat... So most of them :smile:

A couple of years ago I rode with a friend starting near Newark, up between Doncaster and Scunthorpe, through Selby to York. I don't know the area but it was an absolutely beautiful day, lovely countryside* and flaaaaat.

I don't know if we had a tailwind maybe but we absolutely zoomed through the countryside.

* Except for the bit where we got a bit lost and ended up on an abandoned WWII airfield. That wasn't lovely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom