Favourite flat roads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A couple of years ago I rode with a friend from near Newark, up between Doncaster and Scunthorpe, through Selby to York. I don't know the area but it was an absolutely beautiful day, lovely countryside* and flaaaaat.
It sure IS flat over there... This is the profile of another ride that I did out there from Garforth via York:

Garforth York profile.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There are no flat roads of any length where I live and I live at the top of a steep hill to add to my problems.
Loch na Keal about 12 miles away is flat and if I start just before there I get 10 miles each way reasonably flat but being on the west coast there is often a strong wind.

All uphill

Still rolling along
This was pretty good a couple of weeks ago. Miles of deserted flat cyclepath in dappled sunlight near Groesbeek in the Netherlands.

20230521_103935.jpg

Deserted at 9am on Sunday. Very busy with an uncomfortable mix of older ebikers chatting in groups and lycra clad racing snakes when I returned at 2pm.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm not entirely sure we have any round here, but when I find one, it will immediately qualify as my new favourite. :okay:
Glasgow, or even Rutherglen, or even Cambuslang ^_^ to Loch Lomond: along the Clyde cycle path, then the river front, then join the Loch Lomond route at Scotstoun.
Another: Glasgow to the Campsies.
There are no flat roads of any length where I live and I live at the top of a steep hill to add to my problems.
Loch na Keal about 12 miles away is flat and if I start just before there I get 10 miles each way reasonably flat but being on the west coast there is often a strong wind.
No half!
I almost cried when I was faced with the last hill before entering Tobemorry!
And the uphill to get back out!
There is actually a bus that takes bikes at the harbour, goes to the ferry.
I was going to take it, but the rest of my party (fitter people than me) were against it.
I would have waited ages for them at the ferry, so I gave myself half an hour head start instead.
Can't remember now, but I think I pushed the bike up the hill out of the village.

Ripple

Veteran
My country. It's so blissfully flat ! In fact, I can see factory's chimneys from our house and that's 20 miles away. Not because we live on a hill but because of terrain.

That's about 4 miles from my village:

lt.jpg

That's another part of the country ... not much hillier either. ^_^

Birstonas.jpg

We do have hills though ... the highest one is almost 300 metres hight. :whistle:

presta

Guru
I wouldn't say I have a favourite, I'm not really a fan of flat, but memorable ones are the route from Cambridge to Thurlby on my way to the north, it's flat as a billiard board most of the way, and monotonously straight around Peterborough too.
1685828032125.png

And on day rides down to the coast, the section from Clacton to Colchester was flat too:
1685828173992.png

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The Military Road going NE out of Rye.
Pretty much everything between York and Hull is flat and rather nice. 1900ft in 114 miles last year, and a big chunk of that was the gradual climb out of Hull.
I'd rather have rolling terrain than flat, though…

Slick

Guru
Glasgow, or even Rutherglen, or even Cambuslang ^_^ to Loch Lomond: along the Clyde cycle path, then the river front, then join the Loch Lomond route at Scotstoun.

No half!
I was going to take it, but the rest of my party (fitter people than me) were against it.
I would have waited ages for them at the ferry, so I gave myself half an hour head start instead.
Can't remember now, but I think I pushed the bike up the hill out of the village.

Yeah, I've cycled to Tarbet a few times, but I was just being a bit facetious.

Kudos for cycling out of Tobermory though, I would definitely have got the bus. :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member

No half!

"Town " please Pat not a village. We used to have a town council and Provost etc.
Aes Brae out of town is indeed a killer and worse if you are starting off with cold legs not yet up to working temperature. :ohmy:
I live at the other end of town even higher with a very nasty blind bend at the bottom of the Back Brae.

GuyBoden

Guru
Most of central Cheshire is fairy flat, but not as flat as some other counties. The East and West have a few hills. It's a great county for an old bloke pootling about on a bike.

Top Bottom