Favourite old film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

col said:
That rings a bell,mcgoohan was fantastic in it,played a great part,as a nutter.

I did a google search thingy and it is the same movie. Not too bad but the scenes with the lorries racing were funny (obviously filmed travelling slowly and speeded up in "Benny Hill chase" syleeeee)

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
Was Sean Connery in that as well? And Sid James?

Yup, thats the one ;)

col

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
I did a google search thingy and it is the same movie. Not too bad but the scenes with the lorries racing were funny (obviously filmed travelling slowly and speeded up in "Benny Hill chase" syleeeee)

I noticed that too,the scene that sticks in my mind,was when mcgoohan went to try and drag the goody,name slips my mind,from the truck,when they were backing up and pushing them from the hopper,and he had a spanner down by his side as mcgoohan opened his door,great film.

col

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
I was a good film, but I doubt if it would chart in my top 20.

Maybe not by todays films,but as far as making them engrossing,without specail effects,just good stories,makes them good watching,Great expectations just came to mind,another classic.

laurence said:
the third man
in a lonely place
duck soup
big sleep (bogart version)
M

Dave5N said:
The third man

then,

Twelve Angry Men

then,

Casablanca

marinyork said:
Casablanca, If, A Matter of Life and Death, Kind Hearts & Coronets, The Great St Trinian's train robbery. So difficult.

Dave5N said:
Oh, and The Titfield Thunderbolt

All of the above, plus-

Citizen Kane, Passport to Pimlico, Ace In The Hole,Streetcar Named Desire / Some Like It Hot / The Apartment (can't decide which is Wilder's best), Bad Day At Blackrock,
The Maltese Falcon, Sons Of The Desert, Angels With Dirty Faces, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Grapes Of Wrath, For Whom The Bell Tolls, On The Waterfront, Any David Lean film, Dr. Strangelove, The Ladykillers, I could go on, but space and time is limited! ;)

Abitrary said:
Has anyone seen a film from the 70s called Static?

It's about a guy who's parents die and he makes a machine to talk to them in heaven?

He also holds up a bus to get publicity for it. It sounds strange but it is amazing

brilliant film. has The The's 'this is the day' as the opening track.

Bigtallfatbloke

The Alamo with John Wayne
Great escape
the dam busters

col

Legendary Member
633 squadron,with the dodgy flight scenes through the mountains.
The origional Oliver.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I was always impressed by the 1948 Oliver where they were chasing Bill Sykes and there seemed to be hundreds and hundreds of extras on that scene. Well, that and the cast!

Noodley

Sorry if it seems like I am trying to hijack the thread:

Did these movies not used to form the basis of "Christmas" telly? (and probably other holiday telly as well) Are any of them shown nowadays on a regular basis on non-subscription channels? I don't have TV listings for Christmas and New Year but I hope, and expect, to be sitting in front of the telly watching some of these in the coming week(s).

Mind you I have a few Dad's Army episodes to watch...;)

col

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
I think the nutty lady on a bike was in the Miss Marple films and I believe the actress was Margaret Rutherford.

Arsnic & Old Lace is another good old B&W.

T x

Thats her,cheers,love her films:biggrin:

Noodley

marinyork said:
I was always impressed by the 1948 Oliver where they were chasing Bill Sykes and there seemed to be hundreds and hundreds of extras on that scene. Well, that and the cast!

When he was on the roof top and the crowd was below? That was good, and so was the musical Oliver. Not sure about the new BBC adaptation (the one with Tim Spall as Fagan)

Top Bottom