Favourite old film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
Sorry if it seems like I am trying to hijack the thread:

Did these movies not used to form the basis of "Christmas" telly? (and probably other holiday telly as well) Are any of them shown nowadays on a regular basis on non-subscription channels? I don't have TV listings for Christmas and New Year but I hope, and expect, to be sitting in front of the telly watching some of these in the coming week(s).

Mind you I have a few Dad's Army episodes to watch...;)

I used to watch dads army on uk gold,but they havnt been shown for a while,or have i just missed them."Dont tell him pike" great stuff.

Dave5N

Über Member
Lardyboy said:
All of the above, plus-

Citizen Kane, Passport to Pimlico, Ace In The Hole,Streetcar Named Desire / Some Like It Hot / The Apartment (can't decide which is Wilder's best), Bad Day At Blackrock,
The Maltese Falcon, Sons Of The Desert, Angels With Dirty Faces, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Grapes Of Wrath, For Whom The Bell Tolls, On The Waterfront, Any David Lean film, Dr. Strangelove, The Ladykillers, I could go on, but space and time is limited! ;)

SOme good stuff in there! I can remember watching the Maltese Falcon over and over and over.

(I was pretty zarking stoned...)

Noodley

col said:
I used to watch dads army on uk gold,but they havnt been shown for a while,or have i just missed them."Dont tell him pike" great stuff.

I got a few episodes on DVD for my birthday, series 9 IIRC. I intend to stick it on soon once I come off work for a few days and can relax a bit.

col

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
I was always impressed by the 1948 Oliver where they were chasing Bill Sykes and there seemed to be hundreds and hundreds of extras on that scene. Well, that and the cast!

It was a good version wasnt it.More dark and scary than the others.Especialy when fagin caught oliver looking while he was checking out his stash.Iv just found alistair simms version of a christmas carol,another good one.

Noodley

I'll tell you another series of movies I have just remembered watching during "holidays" - Charlie Chan: "Number One Son". Fantastic.

col

Legendary Member
Amazing what you remember when someone mentions it?i remember them too.Also can you remember the old robinson crusoe,used to be on holiday morning tv?Its the music i remember the most,and the music to signal his fear,or shock.Oh and casey jones.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
A lot of these films used to be on TNT, I know that's not much help! Done a search for some of them and so far only found Some Like it Hot on Living of all channels ;)

Noodley

Robinson Crusoe music was great. And "white horses", "champion the wonder horse", "the flashing blade", "heidi", "zorro". I'm sure I'll remember more soon.

col

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
Robinson Crusoe music was great. And "white horses", "champion the wonder horse", "the flashing blade", "heidi", "zorro". I'm sure I'll remember more soon.

Yep,i remember them all too,there was a foriegn series about jet fighters,but i cant remember what it was called,dont forget follyfoot?

Noodley

col said:
Yep,i remember them all too,there was a foriegn series about jet fighters,but i cant remember what it was called,dont forget follyfoot?

I actually put Follyfoot in my last list but then deleted it as I don't remember it and it was mrs noodley who mentioned it.

What about Belle and Sebastien - I got the DVD for mrs noodley last Christmas but my recollections are vague.

Sorry I have taken this thread way OT. ;)

Abitrary

laurence said:
brilliant film. has The The's 'this is the day' as the opening track.

Hang on, this was a 70s film. The The were 80s?

Oh please don't lay something really far-out on me, not at xmas

Top Bottom