Fcuk, not again... job woes....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
... here we go again...

Called into a meeting today, seems as part of the corporate strategy and centralisation of all group R&D into 'Centres of excellence', we've finally had the news we suspected to hear.
Our lab in Abingdon (at our production plant) is being closed and our jobs are being relocated to new super-duper state of the art facilities in Portbury, Bristol.

It's the 3rd time I've been through (and dragged my family through) such an ordeal in about 10 years... It's getting a bit wearing. Every-time I find a job that's really great, it moves or dissappears.

I don't think I can move the family again, they're committed to exams etc. Looks like long-range commuting or a mix of home-working, international travel and long commuting.
Consultations start Monday. Lab in Abingdon closed by Christmas.

Just when you get life sorted... it fcuks you up the arse...

All good wishes Fab - nothing else to say really. Keep everyone on the up as much as possible. Changing jobs is hardly a choice these days I suppose...

jonesy

Guru
F**k, that is shitty. :tongue: Sorry to hear that. And I can see why you'd not want to uproot everyone, but not a pleasant commute to have to contemplate. How many of the team do you think will make the move? These sort of site consolidations always result in broken teams and loss of experienced staff...

PaulB

Legendary Member
Fab Foodie said:
Every-time I find a job that's really great, it moves or dissappears.

That's life, that is. What do you want; the moon on a stick? The thing is; if you know where your next three meals are coming from and have enough food or money to buy them, and have cash you can immediately lay your hands on, no matter how little, then you are amongst the wealthiest 10% of the current world's population. True that. We live in the real world so deal with that and not your 'ideal', 'dream' world. Is kind of the way I live, now.

snakehips

Eh Hombre !

There's more to life than work. But I reckon you know that already.

Snake

My Library

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
jonesy said:
F**k, that is shitty. :thumbsup: Sorry to hear that. And I can see why you'd not want to uproot everyone, but not a pleasant commute to have to contemplate. How many of the team do you think will make the move? These sort of site consolidations always result in broken teams and loss of experienced staff...

I think 3 will move (inc. me) out of 9. We'll lose about 3 or 4 really excellent people experience-wise. What made us successful will be very diluted. Any new members will not have the same passion for the job as we do as a dedicated independant operation. We will loose our unique position. Since our parent company increased it's grip on our organisation, it's clear that we have been less successful and our credibility is waning. It's very frustrating when you care about what you do and the customers you do it for...

Anyway, at least for the forseable future I still have employment, better than many others at this time. It's just the bloody frustration that you can't have a few stable years to get sorted, especially when the kids need stability at home. I'm just getting weary of the constant change.

If this was a few years down the road, the kids will be gone, the Mortgage paid and I'd happily stack shelves... just not quite there yet.

gbb

Legendary Member
Bad break FF. You clearly like your job as you're even considering going with them...either that or your skills limit your possibilities (if you know what i mean)
Good luck to you...makes me realise ive always been lucky.

Top Bottom