Fear of Death?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

heretic

Man created god in his own image. When you're dead that's it, game over. No point worrying, you can't stop it happening so enjoy life while you're here.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Maz said:
Being agnostic is your 'insurance policy' :smile:...if there is a creator and you happen to meet upon him some day...

Maz, Maz - take it you've given up on the lesson of the idolators of Makkah, who denied even the possibility of life after death?..(36:78-81) :blush:

Nope, I can't disprove many religious beliefs. I can't disprove Domylers belief. Neither has 100% proof. I don't worry about either, I can't alter the fact that deaths coming. So whats the point of worrying?

Personally theres problems with the whole concept of 'I' or 'self'. What part of 'me' is me?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's interesting should feel the need to apologise for talking about death. That in itself says something about our culture. We aren't very comfortable with it. If we were able to talk about death more openly and honestly in the same way as with any other subject we'd probably be more balanced people.

And, no, I don't agree with buggi. Religion is a substitute for dealing with reality. It explains away, rather than dealing with what we know. We are all going to die. That's the only thing of which you can be certain. But there's no reason why that should depress you or drive you into the arms of some comforting but facile belief system.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
I'd take Laurence's maudlin outpourings with a pinch of salt if I were you! :?:

Speaking as someone who's often felt just like Laurence, I find that a bit thoughtless. Well up to your usual standard.

In answer to the OP I'm not afraid of being dead, no. I'd rather go painlessly, or very quickly, of course. And I'm sure there have been times that the only thing stopping me helping myself along is the thought of what it would do to those left behind. I fear losing those I love more than losing myself, as it were. Having lost someone very dear in the last year, I started to realise that religion was not just a way of making death feel less fearful for the one dying, but also a way of comforting those left behind, a feeling that you might one day be reunited, or at least have a vision of your loved one in a 'better place'.

I'm not scared of dying, although I'd rather not go for a few years yet. My take on the "life after death" thing is that life is merely a process, like beating an egg. It's absurd to think that there's some kind of "Soul of Eggbeater" that carries on after the process of beating the egg comes to a stop.
I'm just going for the enjoy every day option, as much as I can. I'd rather be dead and not have had chance to have done everything that I want to do than be still alive and have nothing I want, or am able, to do.:?:

redcogs

Guru
i've not forgotton the slogan that was seen on a wall in Derry during the troubles:

'Is there life before death?'.

Well, the people of Ireland got through all the bitter turmoil and are perhaps better placed today to celebrate life properly now they have given themselves the opportunity.

As an aside, i often enjoy reading a decent (ie honest appreciation) obituary, because marking a passing seems a very pleasant aspect of being human. Consequently, i find it quite sad that most of those who come here regularly, our cyber friends, can, and most likely will, just disappear quite suddenly.. like an unmarked grave or an unremarked departure.

Dismal to consider. :?:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Dismal indeed.

However, those people who say they would like to die suddenly are rather thoughtless and selfish. What if you're driving a car or holding a ladder when you turn your toes up? I am sure a safety officer would have plenty to say about that.

Or if you're shagging someones partner in the back of their car? Just imagine the distress and embarrassment that would cause, while you drift blissfully off into the ether without a care in the world.

We have a duty to our fellow citizens to die slowly, however uncomfortable that might seem.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Smokin Joe said:
We have a duty to our fellow citizens to die slowly, however uncomfortable that might seem.

Sorry, that's cack. Part of being more comfortable about death, would be the acknowldgement that people should be able to chose the time and manner of their dying. That's subject to all the usual caveats about the exercise of rights and how that affects others of course. We certainly do not have any 'duty' to die slowly.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We'd most of us have a fear of death or we wouldn't be generally risk averse. Most of us have a fear of dying painfully and lingeringly although living in constant pain would be worse perhaps.
I've not actually experienced it but dying young (pick your age) is worse for those that grieve I think.

asterix

Comrade Member
gambatte said:
Looks like a nice way of living - your place?

It's an old barn we bought 2 years ago as a near ruin. It's c.1700 and too small for modern farming so sold for very little compared to UK prices.

snorri said:
I hope you are wearing a helmet.:evil::biggrin:

Yup, I have a nice yellow hard hat, thanks.

Maz

Guru
gambatte said:
Maz, Maz - take it you've given up on the lesson of the idolators of Makkah, who denied even the possibility of life after death?..(36:78-81) :evil:

Nope, I can't disprove many religious beliefs. I can't disprove Domylers belief. Neither has 100% proof. I don't worry about either, I can't alter the fact that deaths coming. So whats the point of worrying?...
Interesting quote that, gambatte.
True...I can't prove there is a god, either - that's where faith comes into it.

Top Bottom