Fear of road riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyway ... back to the OP.

Ride where you're happy riding. If you're not enjoying yourself there's no point doing it. It doesn't matter what other people think or feel about riding on the road - it's about how you feel. Riding with someone else may make you feel more comfortable. Ride at times when there's not so much traffic. Take things at a pace that you're happy with and let your confidence grow. Good luck.

redcard

Veteran
I was very worried about cycling on the main roads when I got my bike a month ago. Started off using cycle paths, then did my commute route early one Sunday morning. Surprised by how easy it was. Since then I've commuted every day, all on A roads or though the city centre. Not once have I felt threatened by bad driving. Lack of indication and hesitation on the part of drivers has caused a little concern - I'm shocked by the amount of drivers who don't indicate at busy junctions, particularly when there's cyclists around.

My biggest concern when riding on roads are the pot holes, and I'm still a fairly novice rider.

Globalti

Legendary Member
At the risk of opening a can of worms, failure to indicate might actually indicate a good, alert driver who knows the Highway Code. It says there that you should indicate for the benefit of other road users, it doesn't say you should indicate automatically every time you maneuver. So the driver who is fully aware of what's around him and who might benefit from knowing his intentions, will only indicate when necessary. I'm thinking here of the muppets you see driving through an empty estate, signalling mindlessly at every junction and even when they turn to enter their driveway; they are the drivers who worry me.

redcard

Veteran
At the risk of opening a can of worms, failure to indicate might actually indicate a good, alert driver who knows the Highway Code. It says there that you should indicate for the benefit of other road users, it doesn't say you should indicate automatically every time you maneuver. So the driver who is fully aware of what's around him and who might benefit from knowing his intentions, will only indicate when necessary. I'm thinking here of the muppets you see driving through an empty estate, signalling mindlessly at every junction and even when they turn to enter their driveway; they are the drivers who worry me.

I'm talking about city centre driving, where a signal of intent from the driver in front would make manoeuvring through busy junctions a lot easier and efficient.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Charming.

Were the campaigns that the Guardian, Independent and recently The Times have run on the dangers that cyclists face utter utter bollocks?

I seem to remember you have taken issue with speeding drivers and the danger they pose to cyclists.

Everything in life carries an element of risk. But our views of risk are based on perceptions that are emotional rather than rational. I don't believe that cycling is any riskier than being a driver or a pedestrian. If I thought it was inherently dengerous I wouldn't do it. The statistics don't show cycling to be hugely dangerous either, you are more at risk in your car.

Regarding anecdata, yes shoot happens, but the uneventful millions of miles never get written about, there's no excitement in my 40 uneventful miles yesterday.
But, there's another element here too, which is part of the raison d'etre for this thread, and that's how you ride - there are defensive and assertive strategies which will minimise risk of conflagration with other road users, these are worth learning and that also minimises risk and enhances enjoyment. I also see cyclists that ride like complete knobs and there's no surprise that there's often conflict and sometimes pain out there.

Regarding your final point, I see no issue with wanting to reduce risk, even where the risk base is low. better driving standards, lower local speeds enhance safety for cyclist, pedestrians and other drivers, as well as contribute to a more pleasant environment. Segregation is not the answer, helmets are not the answer, driver education, mutual human respect and more cyclists on the road is the answer.
It's not rocket science.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, failure to indicate might actually indicate a good, alert driver who knows the Highway Code.

The average Joe takes a turn without indicating. Are they (i) a good, alert driver who knows the Highway Code? or (ii) a driver who has no idea what they are doing and who doesn't give a toss?

I think I'd tend to place my bet on the later.

Safest to assume everyone's a muppet.

Everything in life carries an element of risk. But our views of risk are based on perceptions that are emotional rather than rational. I don't believe that cycling is any riskier than being a driver or a pedestrian. If I thought it was inherently dengerous I wouldn't do it. The statistics don't show cycling to be hugely dangerous either, you are more at risk in your car.

Regarding anecdata, yes shoot happens, but the uneventful millions of miles never get written about, there's no excitement in my 40 uneventful miles yesterday.
But, there's another element here too, which is part of the raison d'etre for this thread, and that's how you ride - there are defensive and assertive strategies which will minimise risk of conflagration with other road users, these are worth learning and that also minimises risk and enhances enjoyment. I also see cyclists that ride like complete knobs and there's no surprise that there's often conflict and sometimes pain out there.

Regarding your final point, I see no issue with wanting to reduce risk, even where the risk base is low. better driving standards, lower local speeds enhance safety for cyclist, pedestrians and other drivers, as well as contribute to a more pleasant environment. Segregation is not the answer, helmets are not the answer, driver education, mutual human respect and more cyclists on the road is the answer.
It's not rocket science.

+1

Depends where you walk ............ If you were to walk 2-3 foot out in the road it would be flippin' dangerous. If you were to cycle on the pavement on shared use cycle paths all the time it would be pretty safe. You have to compare like with like.

Its comparing how people typically walk and cycle in the UK as evidenced by the national statistics. Walking typically on the pavement is more dangerous per mile than cycling typically on the road - as has been pointed out on here many many times before.

Collection of subjective anecdotes ........ that's a new one on me. We have had numerous cyclists literally crucified on here for posting their acounts of being run off the road, dangerous close passes, knocked down, objects thrown at them, etc and you dismiss them as subjective anecdotal postes merely made to complain/sound off/seek sympathy. Either you don't cycle or cycle very little or are an insensitive heartless b*****d or a combination of all three. And do you reach the conclusion it is NOT representative? Were the campaigns that the Guardian, Independent and recently The Times have run on the dangers that cyclists face unrepresentative of cycling?

Yes its known colloquially as anecdata - anecodotes masquerading as data. Whatever your perception and the reports here, I will repeat Boris Bikers have made 9 million journeys without a single serious injury. London cyclists do over 200 million journeys a year with about 10-15 deaths (half of them under lorries hence the Times campaign after one of theirs went under a lorry to be cynical) and 4-500 serious injuries (which category includes people kept in overnight for observation, broken bones or bad cuts and lacerations). That is a very large number of journeys and a very small number of serious injuries whatever the perceptions. Doesn't mean its not a good thing to try and reduce them further.

However what we are seeing here is a lot of fear of cycling on the roads that I would argue is brought on in large part by the constant scaremongering of how dangerous cycling is and the need for special protective clothing and facilities to make it even remotely safe. Oh and by the way, most of the research shows that segregated cycle facilities are more dangerous than cycling on the road because of all the driveways, entrances and side roads you have to cross without the priority you would have on the road.

D

Deleted member 1258

My biggest concern when riding on roads are the pot holes, and I'm still a fairly novice rider.

When you use a route regularly you will find you will learn where the potholes are, the fun and games start late winter early spring when the bad weather has opened a fresh crop of potholes and you've got a new lot to learn. You can report the potholes to the local council or use this website to report them.

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

When you use a route regularly you will find you will learn where the potholes are, the fun and games start late winter early spring when the bad weather has opened a fresh crop of potholes and you've got a new lot to learn. You can report the potholes to the local council or use this website to report them.

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

I tend to avoid not just potholes but also bits of not so good road surface. I think the fact that you are seen to be constantly steering round stuff and not holding a straight line encourages drivers to give you more room. Which is helpful when you do come across a pothole that is bigger than your bunny hopping skills allow.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
I tend to avoid not just potholes but also bits of not so good road surface. I think the fact that you are seen to be constantly steering round stuff and not holding a straight line encourages drivers to give you more room. Which is helpful when you do come across a pothole that is bigger than your bunny hopping skills allow.
I'm with you there, well I'm truly hoping so, because my bunny hopping skills are to date non existent.

albion

Guru
Whilst perceptions of risk are emotions, it does not invalidate real risk.

I have two routes I intentionally avoid, considering the real risk being too high.
Therefore a diversion is often the order of the day.

Portex

Regular
The British Cycling website (http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/) is running a series of advice pages (select the commuting tab on their website) which are very useful - includes advice on positioning and filtering etc. Any motorcyclists will find the content familiar. But do "claim your space" on the road.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

:eek::excl: Really? I'm not being sarcastic, really you experienced riders suggest this on a daily commute? I would have thought this would annoy the driver behind. I noticed that if I don't keep a straight line on a cycling path, because of glass or potholes, the cyclist behind gets huffy. Or does this strategy only work if you ride quite fast?

Top Bottom