feel guilty/bad over taking over people on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I was out for a ride a couple of weeks back when I saw another cyclist pootling ahead of me. Don't see too many out in the sticks just the odd kids messing about or the old guys wobbling back from Sunday lunctime sesh.
I just kept going and flew past her then realised she was wearing wellies so don't think that counts as a scalp. But when I glanced down at speedo I was doing 28, on the flat, which I thought wasn't bad after 13 miles of a 30 run.
I know a lot of cyclists do get around the roads round here as we have routes 52 and 63 crossing only a few hundred yards from the house but I don't use those much as I need a circular route so don't meet any of the club riders I see as I'm driving.

jimboalee

As long as you overtake when it is safe to do so, and you do not cause the other cyclist to change speed or direction, its fine, have no worries.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I was about 6ft from her so no worries I might have spooked her. I think she was on her way home from the local stables. There are a lot of horsey types round here so local drivers are used to having to slow down when they see something slow in the road. This must make cycling here safer.

adds21

Rider of bikes
Sometimes I overtake, sometimes I get overtaken. Doesn't really bother me.

That said, I do occasionally get satisfaction from overtaking someone... Like the chap I overtook last week going up a long, steep hill which i wouldn't have thought it possible to cycle up a year or so ago. I gave him a cheery (albeit out of breath) "Tough this isn't it", as I went past (to which he replied with an equally friendly comment, so I don't think he thought I was taking the piss, which I wasn't).

I do sometimes, but not very often, overtake Lycia clad roadies, which is kinda nice (I ride a hybrid). But I have no problem with being overtaken myself.

Rebel Ian

I passed a guy up a smallish hill a while back. He was on a mountain bike and was obviously coming home from work. I said "evening" as I passed him and as the road flattened out about 30 seconds later he came past me, still on the smallest ring on his MTB, legs going 1000mph! I let him go and just chuckled to myself!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'd be suicidal if I felt bad for every cyclist I overtake, hah. Ive not been riding that long, but I must be doing close to double the speed of most people riding bikes on my commute, a lot of people cycle uncomfortably slow, just drop them and forget it.

If they cared that much about speed they will train and get faster!

Captain

I do see a few cyclists on my commute and love overtaking them on the long parts of my route but there isn't actually much chance to get a legitamate overtake.
I normally try not to pass people at traffic lights.
Sometimes, when we are stationary at the front of the cars I ask them if they want to go first or if I can go in front.

There are a couple of people I regularly see on my commute that I feel differently about overtaking though.
A lady that drives a touring bike, loaded panniers, high vis, helmet, lights in day - I feel bad for overtaking her as she keeps fair pace but is slow and cautious down hills.
A bloke who rides wearing a Beret, chromed 'retro cruiser' bike, no lights/reflectors, doesn't ever look behind himself, goes through every red light without changing pace or looking around.

I overtake her as kindly as possible and only when it's really easy, but him I overtake aggressivly and try to stay as far in front as I can, although I get overtaken by him again as I wait for the lights which pisses me off

[quote name='swee'pea99']Shout 'LOSER!' at the top of your voice as you go by.[/QUOTE]
...if you want to guarantee that you hit a banana skin with your front wheel seconds later! xx(

jimboalee

[quote name='swee'pea99']Shout 'LOSER!' at the top of your voice as you go by.[/QUOTE]

He was riding carefully through the broken glass you didn't see cus you was concentrating on getting past him...xx(

Twiggy

Overtaking isn't a bad thing, it's usually safer than just sitting behind most.

Just try to remember it's not a race, nor is it a group event. There is always someone faster, and someone slower.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It is a race and there isn't someone faster. (Except for that bloke on a red Cannondale the other morning, gnash gnash.)

Top Bottom