Feeling railroaded by giving a colleague a lift into work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you feel that they are taking the whatsit then I would come up with an after work hobby

doesn;t need to be much - just something which means that you head home at variable times
or possibly sometimes dont go home immediately but go elsewhere first

maybe start going to a gym
or the pub
or go swimming - doesn;t matter what just become unreliable

but I would go with Drago - just say no - sorry not doing that anymore
if they demand a reason then refuse and walk away
if you want to be reasonable then give them a week's notice - but no need to
personally I would tell the original bloke and if he tells other than that is up to him

Kingfisher101

Über Member
You don't have to give any reason at all. Just say you will no longer be able to give any lifts home.
If you don't feel comfortable with this, just make an excuse, you are going to the gym, partners or looking after a relative/kids etc. I think it would be difficult saying to the one guy you'd still take him but not the others. So I'd just say to the lot, no more lifts.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Don't lie. Take your overtime when you need to finish a job at your pace. If they have to wait, that is not your problem. If you go elsewhere after work, just tell them that you're not going directly home and they can't have a lift on this occasion.

As a non driver, I've been reliant on colleagues to give me a lift to work. I contributed to the petrol quite generously... £3 a day for a 30 mile round trip which was £60 a month. It was a lot but cheaper then the bus, more reliable than the bus, quicker than the bus... and there's more to running a car than just putting fuel in it.

That's not a generous contribution to petrol costs, I think that's very low indeed, unless it was in the 1970s or something.

Last edited:

dicko

Guru
Consider this, if you are involved in an accident then the occupants of your car may take legal action against you and your insurance company won’t be very pleased with that.
Remember it’s your car you decide who gets in or not if they are upset ask them ‘why did you take this job if you can’t get there’?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
If all those people need a lift to work then there's nothing to stop them all clubbing together and buying a cheap car and running it as a pool. car. Suggest they look at Marketplace or whatever garage is a good source for used cars near you.

postman

Legendary Member
take a deep breath and tell them you are not an UBER.You only have to do it once.Refuse it is that simple.It might be hard but just tell them.Or they are ALL going to walk over you.It looks like word has got around if strangers are turning up.Also lock the doors once you are inside.Another thing put some large empty cardboard boxes with maybe a towel hanging out of a couple,so you have no seats available front also.Let them be seen in the car park.

presta

Guru
Consider this, if you are involved in an accident then the occupants of your car may take legal action against you and your insurance company won’t be very pleased with that.
Remember it’s your car you decide who gets in or not if they are upset ask them ‘why did you take this job if you can’t get there’?

Insurance companies generally draw a distinction between car sharing and private hire.
https://www.theaa.com/car-insurance/advice/car-sharing

Slick

Guru
Will do buddy.
I will probably be as welcome as a fart in an astronauts suit by the end of tomorrow 🤣

I wouldn't be so sure.

Saying no to someone is the hardest thing to do for some, and I still struggle with it at times.

My advice would be not to lie, you'll only feel guilty about it, so an open and honest conversation regarding how you feel would be best.

You'll feel really good about yourself after it and why should you feel guilty about any of this?

Or alternatively, if you are still happy enough, tell the original punter that he's about to lose his lift if he doesn't tell his mates to sling their hook.

I get it will be dependent upon your mood on the day, so I'll be interested to hear how you handle it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Put the back seats down and add boxes?

I have a Fiat 500 with the hard to get into and out of back seat cluttered with walking sticks, cushions, hats and other such things. I find this a useful deterrent if anyone I don't want to give a lift to asks for one. If I did want to give them a lift, I could simply ask them to help me put all the clutter in the car boot. My little dog has claimed the front passenger seat by the way, so I only have a back seat on offer. 🧐

nc_ohc=K4c3xGl5SrsAX8Uhy3-&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom