Feeling railroaded by giving a colleague a lift into work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I was thinking of making up a terrible excuse that i have to travel into work from a different direction as I caring for an ill member of family early in the morning and after work.
I feel bad about lying though

Don't lie. Take your overtime when you need to finish a job at your pace. If they have to wait, that is not your problem. If you go elsewhere after work, just tell them that you're not going directly home and they can't have a lift on this occasion.

As a non driver, I've been reliant on colleagues to give me a lift to work. I contributed to the petrol quite generously... £3 a day for a 30 mile round trip which was £60 a month. It was a lot but cheaper then the bus, more reliable than the bus, quicker than the bus... and there's more to running a car than just putting fuel in it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for the good advice and @HobbesOnTour no offence taken buddy

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've had a good think about it all this morning and tomorrow I'm going to say something.. It's a short week this week coming and I will give them a lift for it ,but after that there going to have to find there own way into work.
Whether I tell them bluntly or make up a limp excuse will depend on what mood I'm in tomorrow morning.
Either way it's going to stop.
I feel that sometimes you do a favour and people see it as a chance to exploit you and you end up feeling railroaded into it.
Anyway the sun is out and I've just bought some new cycling shorts and jacket from Lidl,so it's a bike ride for me this afternoon and maybe a swift half on the way back in the beer garden 😀

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
You're a great guy @johnnyb47. Hope you manage to set some boundaries. They sound streetwise so they will find a way to get home.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you're like me, I don't like to be confrontational or 'let people down', which is ridiculous of course, but we had a similar situation last year..I just told them I was going somewhere else after work. That gave me the start...to end it.
Make no mistake, these guys are probably saving money by using you. We have many many workers here of non British origin, they often share cars, some regularly, but they almost to a man are expected to pay the driver for the privilege. No payment, no ride. Considering the agency charge them £6 a day for the use of the bus, even if they save a few quid a week, they will.

presta

Guru
But don't cyclists complain about motorists taking up lots of road space with cars that are three quarters empty? Don't motorists justify this car use by arguing they would lose their personal space if they travelled by bus or train?

1711288852067.jpeg

Top Bottom