Feeling the fear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
i must say that i do winder how long it will be before i bite the dust and get hit by a car or crash somehow else and am potentially seriously injured? none the less i still go ride and will cross that bridge when i get to it!
TBH i mainly worry about breaking the carbon forks or lovely wheels or buggering all my gear changing stuff (shifters and derailleurs mainly) in a crash! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I think a healthy dose of fear is good for you - keeps you aware, so long as it doesnt turn into a panic and if you can focus on the task in hand, it's mostly good. Must say I've had a couple of restless evenings myself over the last few months, since starting my commute by bike, but having woken up the next day and forced myself into it, I usually end up feeling twice as good as I did to begin with. My other half helps as well. She's not keen on me cycling at all, but I had a moment the other week & she just told me to stop dic*ing around & get on with it, else I might regret it...might have something to do with the life insurance, mind. :huh:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
i must say that i do winder how long it will be before i bite the dust and get hit by a car or crash somehow else and am potentially seriously injured? none the less i still go ride and will cross that bridge when i get to it!
TBH i mainly worry about breaking the carbon forks or lovely wheels or buggering all my gear changing stuff (shifters and derailleurs mainly) in a crash! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

Crossing a bridge was what I was doing when I broke my humerus in July. I'm back riding now but corner like an oil tanker and can't face riding fixed again at the moment.

Some suggestions for you @jefmcg - Off roading on a MTB is pretty good this time of year as loose stuff is less likely to be unrideable when icy. Also studded tyres are remarkably effective.

Otherwise how about trying some spinning classes until things warm up? I did a few just before I was passed fit to ride a bike again and they were hard work (and different to a bike ride) but quite fun :smile:

[ebitad fur spolling]

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
Crossing a bridge was what I was doing when I broke my humerus in July. I'm back riding now but corner like an oil tanker and can't face riding fixed again at the moment.

Some suggestions for you @jefmcg - Off roading on a MTB is pretty good this time of year as loose stuff is less likely to be unrideable when icy. Also studded tyres are remarkably effectove.

Otherwise how about trying some spinning classes until things warm up? I did a few just before I was passed fit to ride a bike again abd they were hard work (and different to a bike ride) but quite fun :smile:
for the winter months i keep thinking about a turbo but i'm just not sure i can see any space to put it :sad:
i think if i were to get an injury or be involved in an accident that kept me off the bike for say a month or more i would just buy one and then have to find somewhere for it!

it's a shame my family aren't too keen hate the idea of bikes in the house :whistle:
Cheers Ed

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
They fold up pretty small. Small enough to fit under a bed for instance, and you can use them on the driveway. I did :smile:
IMG_20140720_173409.jpg

At the time my arm was broken and I needed the step ladder (and fence) to get on and off the bike. Did get a few funny looks :biggrin:

Thanks folks.

I'm finding it amusing that people are chivvying me up with tales of falls and injuries and death (I'm looking at you, @Moodyman :smile: )

I'm still going out there. Went twice around Richmond Park on Saturday in the dark, and on Sunday did a 62km pootle on quiet roads. But just not enjoying it as much. The second loop of Richmond was mind over matter, and on Sunday I procrastinated so much before leaving that all the cake shops and even the Wurst stand at Kingston Christmas Market were all closed.

The weather has been pretty good for December, and the car drivers positively nice. Also put christmas lights on my bike, but that's only helping a little.

IMG_20141221_191459658.jpg

How much do you have to cycle at this time of year? Could you give yourself a break for a bit then choose a really nice day to cycle the next time?

Funnily enough, I don't have problems with the cycling I have to do. The day after my black ice incident I was having coffee with some friends. I don't have a car, and getting there by public transport would have been a faff, and it never occurred to me to get a taxi. So I just hopped on the folder without a care. Oh, with a little care and caution, but happily enough.

It's more the "going for a ride" thing that's got me. Two years ago I promised myself I'd do ParisBrestParis next year. I probably won't now, but I don't want to completely rule it out

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Not much in it really. You have to ride faster than the minimum speed on long audaxes like PBP to get time to sleep. Add to that you have to keep riding for 4 days :bicycle:

Top Bottom