Feeling the fear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Diggs

Veteran
I need to learn not to land hard on the frame, leading with my left lower leg!!!
I plan not to land on the new pointy bit on my shoulder. My sister tells me to land on the other side,just to even them up.
Anyway, wish you all the best @jefmcg

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
A good crash technique is never ever tense up and stick your hands down. Go limp.
In my offs and crashes I don't think I've had time to tense, thankfully. But yes, even tucking in hands and arms if you have the time to think about it is wise - keep all the complicated small bones out of harm's way.

Crankarm

Guru
The only way to conquer a fear is to conquer it rather than avoid it. Keep doing what you're doing and push the boundaries of your comfort zone. You'll get there.

Yeah, but there are those that ignore the risks and end up dead. Cycling on the roads is dangerous, period. The more you do something the more likely you are going to come a cropper. You have to be so careful take every car pass as potentially your last moments on this earth. If it wasn't so dangerous why aren't more cycling? At night you can help yourself by having f**k off bright lights and I mean bright (but not flashing).

Yeah, but there are those that ignore the risks and end up dead. Cycling on the roads is dangerous, period. The more you do something the more likely you are going to come a cropper. You have to be so careful take every car pass as potentially your last moments on this earth. If it wasn't so dangerous why aren't more cycling? At night you can help yourself by having f**k off bright lights and I mean bright (but not flashing).

Bright lights (visible from space bright) and a new jacket which is made entirely from the material that is used for the grey light up like a Christmas tree, when illuminated by cars headlights bands on most hi vis kit, didn't save me from the last clown. If you make something idiot proof, you just get better idiots.

Working on it....
IMG_20141224_133621966-1.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-12-24 at 16.13.41.jpg

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
So dangerous in fact that cyclists live longer than non-cyclists :rolleyes:

arch684

Veteran
That's it I will be selling all my bikes

Brilliantly phrased. Exactly the sort of thing I am fighting against feeling, and you've encapsulated it perfectly.

:bravo:

Thanks for the support, guys.

My little panic seems to be over. I did 72km ride today (getting home from coffee with @vickster took a little diversion, see above). A few close passes at 40mph enraged me rather than frightened me, and the worst part of the ride was the cafe at Box Hill had closed when I got there - I'd only had a mince pie and 3 coffees by then, so I was hungry.

My speed is way down, but that's something I can tackle now I have stopped quaking with fear.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I have periods of fearfulness around cycling as well, but they come and go. I just try to ride sensibly, and don't put myself at undue risk. I hope your fear passes soon.

tyred

Legendary Member

A word of advice, don't take up a job in advertising/marketing!

Top Bottom