Feeling the fear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Sorry I've just caught up with this thread.
To the OP, I'm sorry you're feeling this way :sad:

I'm a very nervous road rider and so, for my sanity, stick to my MTB and towpaths, woods and light trails.
But, I won't give up cycling! I just stick to what I know and feel safe with, otherwise I'd never get on my bike.
I'm 51, with various medical issues, but I think I'd have a lot more if I didn't cycle!

Stay strong, stay safe but most of all, do what you are comfortable with :hugs:

I came a cropper on black ice a couple of years ago, same sort of scenario, it had been cold through the night but was quite warm when I left. I hurt myself only slightly but mentally it still plays on my mind. I still go out just take my time if I feel nervous. I still have a problem cornering on decents due to this. The confidence will come back slowly but only if you get out there and ride. I've just been out and it's freezing out there but no problem whatsoever.
As for the RTC's, in my head you are always on the verge of an accident when riding on roads but I'll never let that stop me I love it too much for that! Just do everything you can to stay alert. I must admit though I've never been hit but I have had some really hairy moments.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Reading posts like this makes me realise how lucky I am to be living in Denmark and having the cycling infrastructure we have.

We were out today for a 12 miler on small roads close to home. It was half cycle paths and half not. We were passed by 3 cars and given lots of space. You can bet you house that the drivers passing you are either cyclists or their family is and so they have empathy for you.

It was an enjoyable ride, but it always is enjoyable riding here.

Here is Jannie today. This cycle path, like many in Denmark, is alongside a wide but not overly used road.

Great weather and great cycling today. A few degrees below freezing.

20141226_145436_zpsyzed9nl9.jpg

sheffgirl

I was a little nervous the first time I rode on the road again after being knocked off. I was conscious of every car passing me, plus it was the first time I'd ever ridden this bike, and I set off late :sad:
I chickened out the second ride because it was really windy and I felt too nervous riding on 60mph roads whilst getting blown about.
One thing I have found is that if I'm crossing the road walking and a car gets close to me, I feel a sense of dread as if they are going to hit me

I was a little nervous the first time I rode on the road again after being knocked off. I was conscious of every car passing me, plus it was the first time I'd ever ridden this bike, and I set off late :sad:
I chickened out the second ride because it was really windy and I felt too nervous riding on 60mph roads whilst getting blown about.
One thing I have found is that if I'm crossing the road walking and a car gets close to me, I feel a sense of dread as if they are going to hit me
That's about right. You have to keep a sense of perspective though. I've been taken out twice this year. It sucks but I'm not giving up.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
To the OP, I like you and many here have been through the same thing
Its terrible but you have to cycle through it, the fear does dwindle, thats a promise!
Good luck

It's admirable that you have kept going despite your experiences, go easy on yourself and take the time off if you feel like it. Cycling should be a joyous thing. But the best way to get over nerves is to confront your fears head on. As long as they are irrational, and you will know they are, you will soon over come them. If however, you are nervous about cornering at 30mph on black ice (like I did a couple of weeks back) you'd be right to feel nervous about repeating that mistake again. It's your survival instinct!

Minimise your risks, and only take ones that you know are acceptable to you, you'll soon realise that getting out there is perfectly safe.

You'll be fine!

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
VERY wise words indeed :highfive:

fark.

Things were really coming together for me. This week I decided to enter Paris Brest Paris. I set some short-term and some long term goals. My resolution to lose weight was already showing progress: I managed to drop several kilos. I picked out my qualifying rides and made a training plan.

Guess what happened last night? I'm popping down to the grocery store on my folding bike, and it folded. Bruised head and much more seriously broken clavicle. At the risk of repeating myself, fark.

Who knows I'll be cycling again. And how terrified I'm going to be.

My inner three-year-old once a Hug.Of courseIf I had a hug, I would scream with pain

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh no! :eek:

How on earth does a folding bike fold when you are riding it? (The only scenario I can think of is trying to bunnyhop a pothole, or something similar to that.)

Good luck with overcoming this latest setback.

How on earth does a folding bike fold when you are riding it?

The front wheel came out of the quick release, I think.

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 14.24.20.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_pmJ78wDf8

vickster

Legendary Member
:sad: GWS

I hope the hospital has good news for you tomorrow and we'll both be back and riding by Easter @jefmcg virtual hug :hugs:

Last edited:
Top Bottom