Feels like a stigma to what I ride..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, I get that, but it's still like equipping a transit van with a small roofbox big enough for a bag of shopping. I don't have a problem with it, it's a cargo bike after all, it just seems a bit pointless. Now if it had a seat on it big enough for 3, fair does. A bike that you need a PSV licence to ride.

If it was mine I'd have my panniers or even a small strap on off bag on there containing stuff that I was a bit more precious about.

In fact I really want one now for deliveries.

If it's good enough for the yummie mummies of North Oxford (and AiG) it's got to be good enough for me...:okay:

battered

Guru
No, just two at 26" each, like any other bike. You've probably seen it before in these pages but I'm always happy to post pictures of my bike:

View attachment 614006

The longtail bit is a kit, but the front end frame is pure Raleigh, made in Nottingham.
You certainly like carrying luggage! I like that though. Is it (the original bit at least) the steel and titanium bonded frame? Mine is, it means I can't powder coat it for fear of upsetting the glue, so when I repaint it it will be a wet paint job.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Yebbut everyone knows that the Oxford Mummies... and AiG (of course) are the absolute epitome of style and coolness.

I guess after all I do want to be admired..

:laugh:

'roadies', whatever they are, are generally getting on with doing what they're doing

That's a fair point: They do seem pretty intense and judging by the tri-bars and other extras on their bikes I suspect they're out for some serious training, so they are probably not aware of anyone else. Presumably they're enjoying themselves.

Of course there's another possibility that they're disinclined to greet strangers on the road, which I can hardly complain about as an introvert myself.

I do find the different approaches reactions people have to fellow cyclists interesting though.

..... I suspect they're out for some serious training, so they are probably not aware of anyone else.....

It's a bit of a bugbear of mine in relation to a lot of things, but since we're talking about cycling......

A road, a cyclepath or even an off-road trail is not private in the sense that we're supposed to share it.

I don't care if someone is trying to claim KOM or beat a segment - I have just as much right to be there as they do.

I'd imagine if myself and a few friends were practicing our rugby drills in a park and expecting everyone else to stay the hell out of our way we wouldn't be very popular.

It's a bit of a bugbear of mine in relation to a lot of things, but since we're talking about cycling......

A road, a cyclepath or even an off-road trail is not private in the sense that we're supposed to share it.

I don't care if someone is trying to claim KOM or beat a segment - I have just as much right to be there as they do.

I'd imagine if myself and a few friends were practicing our rugby drills in a park and expecting everyone else to stay the hell out of our way we wouldn't be very popular.

This is more of a problem near Stuttgart than here: there's a couple of cycleways near the city I just don't use after about 10 am on weekends. However if I'm more than a few kilometres from the city or on a less well known route then the cycleways are clear.

People training here are not usually discourteous though. I'm going to have to be more observant tomorrow and see just how many really don't see/acknowledge other cyclists; certainly most of the commuters are friendly regardless of their choice of bike.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Tbh since I've got a fancy new(ish) hybrid, to replace the slightly less fancy older hybrid, I've found myself feeling less able just to park it any old where, and feel confident that it will be there when I get back..

I've even taken to locking it up sometimes.. which is a blooming nuisance.

Cos then I've got to carry a lock and remember the combination .

I guess I've not had my radar tuned in sufficiently to discern whether I'm getting more or less respect, now that I've got disc brakes..

But as you say, there are possibly in the region of three thousand more interesting things to think about, and see, whilst riding a bike , rather than whether or not another cyclist is 'judging' us for our choice of steed, in some way..

No one here has actually fessed up to doing any of that, to anyone else, so I suspect our op can relax on the issue..

If anyone is judging , and was foolish enough to say so..

Well then, they're going to look a tad foolish right ??
Could we come up with a scoresheet for use when assessing other cyclists and their bikes?

I'd give extra marks for non-matching socks, v- brakes with drop bars and baggy shorts.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Could we come up with a scoresheet for use when assessing other cyclists and their bikes?

I'd give extra marks for non-matching socks, v- brakes with drop bars and baggy shorts.

Yay..

I've got two points already... 🌠🌠

And a piece of tufty doormat cable tied to my rear pannier rack ..
(Don't ask:rolleyes:)

How many stars on the sticker sheet for that then.??

I get the same when out on my bikes. Although it's mainly because people are gobsmacked to see full-blown "serious" bikes in tiny frame sizes and stop me to ask about them.

I'll always nod or wave to other cyclists / dog walkers / horse riders regardless of which bike I'm on.
Just the fact that mine is a low-step-thru folder is enough to cause folk to stop me and ask about it; when I had my islabike I used to get folk asking me about the frame size too.
I think if the OP actually wants to be stopped and talked to/asked questions/greeted/get their ear bent, all they need to do is get a bike perceived as a little 'odd' by one or more segments of the cycling and/or other population, and job's a good'un.

Top Bottom