Feels like a stigma to what I ride..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi I have a road bike and a hybrid bike, most people I see on my rides tend to be on road bikes, I myself ride a road bike most of the time, however I do own a hybrid bike and enjoy riding it and want to ride it more however it feels like theressome sort of stigma is attached to it like being a complete beginner, novice, just an occasional cyclist.

sometimes it just feels nice to be on a flat bar, sit up and have a steady ride.

Also I have noticed other cyclists seem to acknowledge you more when passing on a road bikes but when on a hybrid I think they turn there noses up a bit more and blanc you a bit.

I've noticed this too. I think it's just a sort of tribalism: Roadies tend to ignore me when I'm riding a flat bar but commuters are friendly.

When I ride my drop bar tourer I've noticed road cyclists looking at the bike as I approach while they decide if I'm "one of them". As soon as they see the metal mudguards and V-Brakes some lose interest, although fortunately this is a friendly region so it's not that common.

When I go into France the tourers seem to favour recumbents so there's a whole new tribe...

As others have said, ride and enjoy...

battered

Guru
Quite - all just labels.

i rode this for many years:

View attachment 613996

Hybrid heritage for sure in its mongrelness.

Mountain bike type frame, road gearing (so high rarely got it in top top), flat bars, front (tho low travel) switchable suspension, suspension seatpost, hydraulic braking.

All very non binary.
That's very similar to my most used bike. It's a Raleigh M Trax (Dyna) from 1995, everything has been worn out and replaced at least once, it now has guards, rack, and over 20,000 miles on board. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I wave and say hello, most reply.

That's very similar to my most used bike. It's a Raleigh M Trax (Dyna) from 1995, everything has been worn out and replaced at least once, it now has guards, rack, and over 20,000 miles on board. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I wave and say hello, most reply.

Greetings from a fellow M-Trax rider. Mine is from ca. 1997 and still going strong...

I do own a hybrid bike and enjoy riding it and want to ride it more however it feels like theressome sort of stigma is attached to it like being a complete beginner, novice, just an occasional cyclist.

You should see the looks I used to get on this thing:

bed_by_bak.jpg

(Long planks optional)

Twilkes

Guru
I've noticed this too. I think it's just a sort of tribalism: Roadies tend to ignore me when I'm riding a flat bar but commuters are friendly.

When I ride my drop bar tourer I've noticed road cyclists looking at the bike as I approach while they decide if I'm "one of them". As soon as they see the metal mudguards and V-Brakes some lose interest, although fortunately this is a friendly region so it's not that common.

When I go into France the tourers seem to favour recumbents so there's a whole new tribe...

As others have said, ride and enjoy...

As if anyone is waiting to see what kind of brakes a bike has before deciding whether to wave or not!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I got absolutely blanked by an old boy hooning down a country lane (between Kingsclere and Eccinswell for those who like detail) on his mobility scooter today. He was descending like Fabian Cancellara on that thing. Put me right in my place. Legend.
I grew up in Kingsclere and often cycled on that road. Just as you reach Ecchinswell, the road bends to the right and follows a stream. On that road was a rat as big as a cat. No exaggeration. And it wouldn't move. It stared me out for about 30 seconds then, satisfied it had won the battle of wills, sauntered off into the hedge. Right here
Ecchinswell Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/pw8vtKkVQPTUwXWh7

Greetings from a fellow M-Trax rider. Mine is from ca. 1997 and still going strong...
Pic?
I take it it has 700 wheels?
What's the frame made of?
Think I've heard of them.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I grew up in Kingsclere and often cycled on that road. Just as you reach Ecchinswell, the road bends to the right and follows a stream. On that road was a rat as big as a cat. No exaggeration. And it wouldn't move. It stared me out for about 30 seconds then, satisfied it had won the battle of wills, sauntered off into the hedge. Right here
Ecchinswell Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/pw8vtKkVQPTUwXWh7
That‘s the road, although I encountered the old boy at the short but steep and rough-as-buggery descent at Kingsclere end, just before it joins Fox Lane. That area is probably my favourite cycling area-of-interest locally. Its got a bit of everything.

They waving thing is reasonably popular around here and in fairness it’s usually quite democratic - you’re as likely to get a hand raise from a club group as someone on a sit up and beg. The only uniformly miserable class of rider seems to be the scowling Howard-and-Hilda retired couples with the matching waterproof hi-viz, even when it’s 30C. The scowls put me off.

I like that, but what is possibly the point of the rear rack? It's both smaller and less easy to use than the humongous bin at the front into which everything is going to be thrown.

To be fair it doesn't get used that much. However it can be handy to attach panniers if I have something delicate that I want to keep separate from the heavy, or in some cases wriggly contents of the front. It's not like the rack represents a serious extra weight...

Last edited:
Top Bottom