Feels like a stigma to what I ride..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi I have a road bike and a hybrid bike, most people I see on my rides tend to be on road bikes, I myself ride a road bike most of the time, however I do own a hybrid bike and enjoy riding it and want to ride it more however it feels like theressome sort of stigma is attached to it like being a complete beginner, novice, just an occasional cyclist.

sometimes it just feels nice to be on a flat bar, sit up and have a steady ride.

Also I have noticed other cyclists seem to acknowledge you more when passing on a road bikes but when on a hybrid I think they turn there noses up a bit more and blanc you a bit.
I think you're imagining this. Lots of cyclists have lots of bikes. Flat bars are fine. Drop bars are fine. Just enjoy the ride.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
A few roadies will not wave even in the middle of nowhere. Usually they're the very "serious" looking ones themselves, they often have beards, always dark shades, and always have an expression like they're not really enjoying themselves, and theyre often riding an 8 grand bike. Ah, who cares. Leave them to their Strava segments.

There's some truth in what you say, If I ride my tourer in my cycling clothing, I get waved at a fair amount out on the open road, especially in remote areas. If I ride my hybrid in my pub clothes in my town however, I get zero waves, but it's not a disrespect thing, it's just what happens. It really doesn't matter. Ride your hybrid and enjoy it.

carpiste

Guru
On the contrary, Ming, recumbent rides to me are usually the most intriguing and interesting rides I encounter. Admittedly, fascinated by penny farthings too. Now there’s a challenge! Saw one last weekend.

There it goes…

View attachment 613963

Or did I almost miss the pun that others LITERALLY look down on you from their slightly higher rides? Okay, I’m a bit SLOW sometimes, and not just pedaling! :scratch:

One thing for certain......

No way I`d be taking my hands off those bars to wave at anyone! ^_^

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a whole variety of bikes from a Brompton to a Koga World Traveller and lots inbetween. I do not care what anyone else rides or what they wear while riding. Why would you? I do not care if they return my nod, I never wave. The cyclist that annoy me are those who do not stop to help other cyclists when they are in trouble.

I ride a true road bike. With flat bars. And mountain bike gearing. Guess that makes it a hybrid!
Ride your hybrid and enjoy it!

I ride a true road bike. With flat bars. And mountain bike gearing. Guess that makes it a hybrid!
Ride your hybrid and enjoy it!
Quite - all just labels.

i rode this for many years:

Hybrid heritage for sure in its mongrelness.

Mountain bike type frame, road gearing (so high rarely got it in top top), flat bars, front (tho low travel) switchable suspension, suspension seatpost, hydraulic braking.

All very non binary.

Last edited:
Quite - all just labels.

i rode this for many years:

View attachment 613996

Hybrid heritage for sure in its mongrelness.

Mountain bike type frame, road gearing (so high rarely got it in top top), flat bars, front (tho low travel) suspension, suspension seatpost.

All very non binary.
Mine's the reverse, Scott Road frame, 25mm max tyres. But really, the raciest part on it is the Charge Spoon!

Twilkes

Guru
It's easier to look up and wave i.e. lift your hand up off the bars on a hybrid or MTB as you're naturally in that upright position anyway. If I'm on a road bike I'm going to be facing further down with my hands low so the best you'll get is a turn of the head and some fingers lifted off the bars, and I won't be saying anything because I'll be breathing fairly hard.

And I pretty much won't register how you're dressed or what bike you're riding until you're past me. :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hi I have a road bike and a hybrid bike, most people I see on my rides tend to be on road bikes, I myself ride a road bike most of the time, however I do own a hybrid bike and enjoy riding it and want to ride it more however it feels like theressome sort of stigma is attached to it like being a complete beginner, novice, just an occasional cyclist.

sometimes it just feels nice to be on a flat bar, sit up and have a steady ride.

Also I have noticed other cyclists seem to acknowledge you more when passing on a road bikes but when on a hybrid I think they turn there noses up a bit more and blanc you a bit.

I think you maybe overthinking this a bit.

Do bear in mind that the roadies tend to be staring at the tarmac a bit more, so maybe haven't seen you, and or are concentrating on some kind of speed or distance recording or summat.

Us flatties are just bowling along saying hello to the sheep and the cows, enjoying the views, even saying hello to each other.

Anyway if anyone laughs at my bike I just shove em off into the hedge , and pedal off cackling...

:okay:

Top Bottom