Feels like a stigma to what I ride..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I ride a recumbent and most riders look down on me. I know my place.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just ride your bike and enjoy. Dont worry about what others think about your bike. Its all in your head.
And even if its not (in your head)....who cares ? Don't worry what someone else thinks, they don't care about you.

I know a former motorcyclist who hated the nodding and waving he got from fellow motorcyclists. Some people are sociable and like to be part of a 'clan'....and clearly, some dont.

Dolorous Edd

Also I have noticed other cyclists seem to acknowledge you more when passing on a road bikes but when on a hybrid I think they turn there noses up a bit more and blanc you a bit.

If you acknowledge someone and they don't acknowledge you back, rest assured they feel a lot more awkward than you do.

Chief Broom

Veteran

carpiste

Guru
Cycling is all about me!
My joy, my exercise, my choice of ride, my Dog who cares if someone can`t be bothered to nod or wave back!
I say hello, morning, evening to pedestrians and cyclists and if they respond it`s great. If they don`t then I feel kind of sorry for them.
I do have to say that on the road, particularly busy roads you don`t want to be taking hands off the bars to reply or even nod if it`s busy. On towpaths and designated cycle tracks I kind of understand the despair at being ignored but I wouldn`t lose sleep over it :okay:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Hi I have a road bike and a hybrid bike, most people I see on my rides tend to be on road bikes, I myself ride a road bike most of the time, however I do own a hybrid bike and enjoy riding it and want to ride it more however it feels like theressome sort of stigma is attached to it like being a complete beginner, novice, just an occasional cyclist.

sometimes it just feels nice to be on a flat bar, sit up and have a steady ride.

Also I have noticed other cyclists seem to acknowledge you more when passing on a road bikes but when on a hybrid I think they turn there noses up a bit more and blanc you a bit.
LOL, Leemi, I know what you mean, except I get that feeling not so much riding my hybrid, but because I’m wearing my preferred riding clothing of loose wicking shorts instead of Lycra shorts, tight $90 bike shirts and ultra cool shades. They usually seem just too cool and self-aware to bother giving this 65-yr. old codger a wave back. But that’s okay, when I used to ride a Honda motorcycle, Harley riders would rarely be bothered to give me a “hey” hand signal either, but it’s all good, there are always plenty of others out there that are glad to interact with others, regardless of what we ride.

Enjoy your hybrid. I’m with you, when I’m not on my MTB. Then it’s ALL THUMBS DOWN to you. Okay, just kiddin’! :laugh:

IF this is so (that cyclists are equipment snobs and don't speak to those they perceive as lower on the equipment ladder) how is it that - on a folding low step-through festooned with my weeks shopping from Lidl or Aldi in baskets attached all over the bike - I am chatted to by cyclists of all persuasions when manouevring the thing through the chicanes and obstacles which decorate my route to the discount supermarket of choice?
My steady, not to say stately, progress along the canal towpath was regularly interrupted in the summer by young blokes on mountain bikes with all the gear, wanting desperately to know what access points I use (because I know ways through and up and around that they don't, being a reader of OS maps as well as all the others - and they rely on google) at certain locations, and I've been stopped at a cyclist road crossing by a passing, very techy, cyclist who wanted to know something specific about my hub gearing which I couldn't answer - I didn't even understand his question!

I am relieved when there's just a passing nod or spoken acknowledgement!

I get the same when out on my bikes. Although it's mainly because people are gobsmacked to see full-blown "serious" bikes in tiny frame sizes and stop me to ask about them.

I'll always nod or wave to other cyclists / dog walkers / horse riders regardless of which bike I'm on.

Last edited:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I ride a recumbent and most riders look down on me. I know my place.
On the contrary, Ming, recumbent rides to me are usually the most intriguing and interesting rides I encounter. Admittedly, fascinated by penny farthings too. Now there’s a challenge! Saw one last weekend.

There it goes…

600C86FB-AF70-4543-89A4-D85C135F702E.jpeg

Or did I almost miss the pun that others LITERALLY look down on you from their slightly higher rides? Okay, I’m a bit SLOW sometimes, and not just pedaling! :scratch:

classic33

Leg End Member
On the contrary, Ming, recumbent rides to me are usually the most intriguing and interesting rides I encounter. Admittedly, fascinated by penny farthings too. Now there’s a challenge! Saw one last weekend.

There it goes…

View attachment 613963

Or did I almost miss the pun that others LITERALLY look down on you from their slightly higher rides? Okay, I’m a bit SLOW sometimes, and not just pedaling! :scratch:
The commuting on a unicycle got me noticed. And comments aplenty from other road users.

Top Bottom