Fell off twice today :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

As the title says, I fell off twice... in the space of 15 minutes.

I was cycling up a hill and as I got to the top, I realised that it had become really really slippy. Unfortunately there was absolutely nothing I could do, I couldn't turn around because even the slightest movement would make my wheels lose traction and I could get off and walk because the pavement was covered in slushy icy mess. I shifted into a low gear and slowly reached the top of the hill and that's when I came off, my bike just fell to the side and I hit the ground... hard.

The second time was just as I was stopping, I decided that the section of road ahead was too bad but the pavement was okay to walk on so I stopped the bike, somehow the wheels lost traction AGAIN and the bike flew out from under me into the middle of the road - this was made worse by the fact that two people were standing at the bus stop opposite just staring at me.

Stupid ice. :blush:

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Sods law-, The bigger the fall the more bystanders to watch you

Biker Joe

Über Member
Right.
And one of the bystanders rushed across to help you shouting ,"are you all right" :eek: while the other one called 999.
A person rushed out of a nearby house with a first aid kit, blanket and a hot cup of tea.:cuppa:
Oh, and at least three car drivers offered you a lift home.
I get the picture. ;)
I hope your not badly injured, that the bike is OK and you recover quickly.
Take care.

Nearly there

Veteran
Ouch Jaz glad your ok,Surprisingly not a drop of snow in my part of the world but i'm still planning my ride carefully as iv'e heard there's some 10 miles to the south and east of me looks like ill be heading to the coast.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Thank goodness your OK.
Hope you didn't mind my comments earlier. I was trying to cheer you up.

I know you were just joking :laugh:

Unfortunately, that's the reason I haven't braved the ice. If anyone is gonna fall off, then it's me!!! Thought I'd save the bike (and myself). Hopefully the thaw this weekend should alleviate the ice problem...and then just leave us with the huge craters (AKA pot holes) to deal with! Must say that I'm really looking forward to getting out again. Hope you're ok Jazz and not too sore this morning (have found in the past that you hurt in places you didn't even realise the next day or two!!)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I had a similar fall before xmas when i hot a big patch of ice going uphill when i just slithered to a stop and fell sideways, fun isnt it ?:blink:
Glad the bike is ok and apart from clothing you did not get hurt too bad, last night we had a good 3-4 inches of snow in the night and then it all started melting so now i might consider getting out tomorrow , todays off as i have come off nights and i have had about 2 hours sleep .

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I had a similar fall before xmas when i hot a big patch of ice going uphill when i just slithered to a stop and fell sideways, fun isnt it ?:blink:
Glad the bike is ok and apart from clothing you did not get hurt too bad, last night we had a good 3-4 inches of snow in the night and then it all started melting so now i might consider getting out tomorrow , todays off as i have come off nights and i have had about 2 hours sleep .

We had some pretty heavy snow yesterday but then it rained and it all turned to slush, sub zero temperatures over the night turned the slush into ice. It's horrible.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Glad you're not too badly hurt jaz :smile:
I had little option but to ride home on the ice and snow. The ruts the cars had made where the worst bit and once or twice my heart was in my mouth despite riding slowish and as carefully as i could. Had a tailwind which was the only blessing other than not falling.
Only using my mtb in this weather. I wouldn't dream of taking the carbon bike out in case i wreck it :hello:

Top Bottom