Fell off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I'm more bothered about braking distances when it's wet than I'm bothered about the water on the road itself. I ride slower, corner slower, and slow down earlier and more gently than in the dry. I don't care about the reduced average speed. I do care about coming off!

Yes something i need to learn to do, im too concerned about my avg speed haha

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Forget speed for now just enjoy riding the bike.By the pic of your tyres they will last you years if you want them to .I got about 3000 miles out of my last set of randonneurs never once lost grip and as far as I remember no unplanned deflations or fairy visits.(must not say the P word.)
A lighter slicker set will improve your enjoyment of the ride but what you already have are good work horses.

Apart from what everything already said about road surfaces, tyres and heaven knows what else, I honestly do believe that a lot of the problems experienced by so many cyclists are associated with their ability or inability to relax.

In all the sports I have competed in throughout my active life, I have always found by a very significant margin that if your are not relaxed then it is highly unlikely that you will be able to perform to your best ability.
Be that in golf where most peoples hands hold a club far too tightly which in turn tightens up the muscles throughout their body, or driving a car when in areas of extreme concentration in fast driving or hazardous conditions the vast majority of people simply hold the steering wheel far, far too tightly, or skiing when they don't keep their legs and torso loose and finally in cycling, as in the case in question when they tend to go "oh sh*t" and their body simply locks up solid.

There are tests and exercises anyone can do to increase their levels of balance and as you get more accustomed to these tests they all become easier and as a direct result the entire body becomes far more relaxed the result of which is that a more relaxed body is far more likely to react far, far faster. As a direct result of these exercises it is quite amazing how much better your overall levels of performance will very significantly improve.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Forget speed for now just enjoy riding the bike.By the pic of your tyres they will last you years if you want them to .I got about 3000 miles out of my last set of randonneurs never once lost grip and as far as I remember no unplanned deflations or fairy visits.(must not say the P word.)
A lighter slicker set will improve your enjoyment of the ride but what you already have are good work horses.

What PSI do you run them at?

CXRAndy

Guru
Had mine at 80, poss why they felt dodgy

I think 70 is recommended max pressure for those tyres.

Bit late now but, i use Vittoria Randoneurs on two of my bikes over a couple of 1000 miles and don't have any problems with all-year round, all-weather commuting.

But no doubt you have good balance? I have ridden my bikes in all weathers and in almost 60 years of cycling with many of them being competitive, I can honestly say I have never fallen off............. yet

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ive just set the pressure to 70, think ill see how they go this weekend.
Looking online the reviews aren't great for these tyres though but im trying to save £45 as ive reserved some 28c duranos to collect from halfords.

Was also thinking i could put the 32c duranos from my hybrid on.

Hopefully the drop in pressure wont make them feel like they are going to slip at every pedal stroke like last weekend!

Top Bottom