fellow cyclists dissapointed me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Let me fix that for you:
No panniers but I suppose you have someone to clean muck out your trailer after being out in the wet?:whistle:

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Have you got me mistaken with _aD? I have no panniers, mud guards or trailer. Just me, a single speed commuter and a road bike.

Naw, he's just forgotten that some people use cycles as a transportation method, not to lug all their crap around. :-D

portage. verb: to transport items via a pedal cycle in an insufferable, smug manner.
I totally just portaged a colour laser printer home

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I was walking in town a while back with my toddler age kids. a lad with his mum & pushchair in front just threw a crisp packet up over his head and onto the floor behind them. I said (I thought) quite quietly to my kids, I'm glad you're not scruffy little sods like that. The woman then turned glared daggers at me and screeched at the kid, go and pick that up, I'm not having people call you a scruffy little sod.

I kept eye contact and told her that if she should had brought him up not to think that was acceptable in the first place no-one would think either of them were scruffs, and walked on.

jack shepherd

i had a run in with a dangerous cyclist yesterday. i was riding along a back road out of witham, along the smooth part of the road, when i got a shunt from the rear, turning round it was a middle age man on a mtb, giving me the finger. i pulled over and he pulled along side, to which he shouted " you teenage yob, im not riding on the rough part of the road to get past you" i replied, "excuse me, your on a mountain bike, some stones shouldnt heard you", then he said " i bet that bike is stolen, you theft, im calling the police if you dont move over", i dont know why because be were both stopped side by side and the bike i was riding was my dads, so i moved over to the verge, but he then kicked my bike and sped off, checking my bike for damage i found some spokes where broken so i headed back home, pushing my dads bike.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Is there perhapa an argument for a huge anti litter campaign of the sort that has made drink driving unacceptable. I know that lives are not at risk but there is a health issue and there is a moral issue that could be exploited.

Perhaps if litter droppers were portrayed as low scum who have not been brought up properly it may have some effect. "If you drop litter then your mother was probably a slut" sort of thing. People hate it when you imply something about their mothers.

Gett heavy with the fines as well. Name and shame people. Make their be a compulsary community litter pick for very trivial litter drops. It is possible to change peoples attitude about this, it just needs a concerted effort with hard hitting campaigns and strict and severe punishment of the poetic sort.

Misusawa

Doing the C2C this week, we noticed a lot of lucozade bottles discarded on every hill between Hartside and Stanhope... I know there aren't many bins up there, but there is no excuse for the ignorance of some cyclists throwing their rubbish away

Globalti

Legendary Member
On the one occasion when I rode my mountain bike around a trail centre I was shocked at the numbers of PET drinks bttles from the trail centre cafe that cyclists had thrown down beside the trail. Most mountain bikers would probably claim to be ecologically-minded.

snorri

Legendary Member
Re the drinks bottles.
In other Euro countries there is a substantial deposit on plastic bottles which ensures the majority of buyers will take them back to the shop for a refund.
Bottles that have been dumped are cleared up by down and outs who "cash them in" no doubt to help fuel their habit whatever it may be, but it keeps the place tidy.
For every person who uses a city litter bin in Germany, another six rake through the bin for empties^_^.
I can't vouch for the 1:6 ratio, but that's what it looked lke to me! .

Re the drinks bottles.
In other Euro countries there is a substantial deposit on plastic bottles which ensures the majority of buyers will take them back to the shop for a refund.
Bottles that have been dumped are cleared up by down and outs who "cash them in" no doubt to help fuel their habit whatever it may be, but it keeps the place tidy.
For every person who uses a city litter bin in Germany, another six rake through the bin for empties^_^.
I can't vouch for the 1:6 ratio, but that's what it looked lke to me! .

Sounds like my youth. Boys would go round asking for people's empties and get the deposits

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Spent lots of time in China. Despite everyone buying bottled drinks (tap water not ok to drink) and usually no bins, there is no bottle litter. You just chuck it on the verge or wherever. Within 30 minutes, a little old lady with a huge bag totters by and picks it up with some tongs, pops in said bag and gets on her way. Commercial recycling fee is 0.1p per bottle. You can be miles from anywhere and these little old ladies just seem to materialise whenever you chuck a plastic bottle.

Plenty of times I have been on a long coach journey and pulled into some coach stop for the vehicle to be surrounded by kids all waiting for us to chuck the empty bottles out of the windows for them to recycle. Capitalism at work.

Doesn't work for regular rubbish though. That's what makes parts of their country a s***heap

jack shepherd

i had i run in with cycling litterers. i had gone for a quick spin on my bike, as i was going along a road, i caught up with a family. the dad and mum in front and two kids weaving behind, one of the parents discarded a can on pop and then a child did the same, the only problem was that when the child dropped the can, they had crushed it up, and i ended up running over it, but i carried on like nothing had happened until after 10 minutes i realised that the can had puntured my front tyre and it had gone almost flat, good thing i as only 5 minutes from my house so i could walk the bike and fix the punture. the parents are to blame

I recently came upon a couple of guys, one of whom had split his inner tube, Neither had a spare so I offered mine, He then slung the knackered tube into a tree where it remains to this day dangling well out of reach. When I saw what he had done I refused to hand over my spare and rode off. I hope he enjoyed his walk home.
I didn't know Victor Meldrew had been reborn as a cyclist :smile:
You're a hero.
I'd love to have seen his face - how did he react?

Car not bike related - I was cycling just off the Old Kent Road a while ago, some woman just ahead threw some crap out of the window (I seem to remember it was snack-related and she sure wasn't thin) so I just pullled up alongside, put on my best innocent helpful face (I can still just manage it sometimes) and ever so sweetly in a slightly concerned voice told her: "excuse me, I think I just saw something fall off your car".
She thanked me ever so nicely, I rode on as the lights changed, not sure if she ever found anything/if the penny dropped.
If I ever suddenly disappear from the forum I'll probably have come to grief with this habit though - sometimes I go to Sardinia, ride in a rather small place on a very distinctive bike (bright orange small-wheeled Dahon Speed Pro) which is surely the only one in the entire Island - only a matter of time before someone I don't recognise just comes up and clobbers me or worse.
A few weeks ago I found someone blatantly parked in a cycle lane at right angles with that graceful arrogance only a certain sort of Italian can muster - he emerged from a shop (double parking is OK if you are shopping) so after a few choice words I calmly took the leaflet that had been put under his windscreen wiper, carefully tore it into confetti, chucked it through his window and rode off.

I must get myself a more anonymous bike

(and just occured to me, maybe discretely plop a used-looking condom through the window next time, hopefully to subsequently be discovered by someone other than him)

Top Bottom