fellow cyclists dissapointed me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I recently came upon a couple of guys, one of whom had split his inner tube, Neither had a spare so I offered mine, He then slung the knackered tube into a tree where it remains to this day dangling well out of reach. When I saw what he had done I refused to hand over my spare and rode off. I hope he enjoyed his walk home.

Fantastic!

sheddy

Legendary Member

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I hate seeing litter dropped by anyone but I really hate seeing little left by cyclists. How hard is it to take the stuff home? It's really quite depressing. I did a sportive last weekend, I say loads of gel/bar wrappers in the road. It's bluems disrespectful is what it is.

A couple of years ago I was walking up Cornmarket in Oxford and a group of students were standing around, one of them threw a cigarette packet down on the floor and started to walk off. I picked up her litter and gave it to her saying "excuse me you dropped this". She gave me a bit of an an "attitude" look, and was about to make a comment, but i guess thought better of it, I think she got the point. Stupid cow.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Ive been a cyclist all my life in one form or another but only recently got my first road bike which i wish i had done years ago. Anyway i have had a great time out and about on the the country lanes near me building up my speed, stamina and time in the saddle with the help of Map my Ride. Ive met some really friendly cyclists along the way the majority of whom at the very least smile and say hello as we pass. However this weekend i had my illusions shattered by the dangerous actions of a cycle club. There i am doing my best to beat my time on a particular part of one of my routes on a winding country road. I can hear raised voices behind me so i look to see a group of cyclists from a local club fast gaining ground. I know im not going to be able to stay in front of them but i keep going as there is a particularly nasty blind left hander going straight into a right hander with a junction on the apex coming up and not only do i want to get round it in one piece but i want to get out of their way making it safe for them. That was my first mistake. The group managed to start to overtake and wrap themselves around me on the blind left hander and then indicate that they wanted to take to junction on the apex. Well i didn't and had to push through the gaggle just to keep going on the road. I was appalled and surprised one of us didn't come off or get hit by a car.
Talk about giving cyclists a bad name. Please tell me, those club cyclists of you out there, that you do not teach your members to overtake on blind bends ??????

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
A couple of years ago I was walking up Cornmarket in Oxford and a group of students were standing around, one of them threw a cigarette packet down on the floor and started to walk off. I picked up her litter and gave it to her saying "excuse me you dropped this". She gave me a bit of an an "attitude" look, and was about to make a comment, but i guess thought better of it, I think she got the point. Stupid cow.
My dad used to always do that, once a woman said "No that's OK, you can have it." and turned away when he presented her with whatever rubbish it was that she had slung on the floor, so he surreptitiously shoved it into her open bag, would have been a good pick pocket my dad.

Paul99

Über Member
My dad used to always do that, once a woman said "No that's OK, you can have it." and turned away when he presented her with whatever rubbish it was that she had slung on the floor, so he surreptitiously shoved it into her open bag, would have been a good pick pocket my dad.

I can beat this.

About a year ago I was coming home from work and was walking out of the train station when I spotted a car full of munters eating a KFC takeaway. All 4 windows were open and as a piece of chicken or wrapping was finished with it was being deposited out of the open windows on to the floor.

I was annoyed as I approached that of the many commuters that were walking past nobody said anything so when I got to the car I started picking up all of their 'deposits'. The car occupants just stared at me in disbelief and when I got half way round the car they realised what I was up to and the panic stricken cry of "do up the windows" went out.

They were thick enough to forget the sunroof was open.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I found some fly-tipped cardboard a few weeks ago. I had my trailer with me so I fed it to the trailer until we found it a better home.

...any excuse to portage stuff in the trailer (and any excuse to talk about the trailer).
Would that be a Welsh Ifor Williams trailer?

vickster

Legendary Member
Might be an urban legend but best story I heard was cyclists throwing discarded lit fag butts back into the car from whence they came...bit of a fire hazard but may think twice. I had some girl sling one out as I was passing - she was very apologetic when I shouted at her!

ayceejay

Guru
I live in the country and we see a police car once or maybe twice a month so drinking while driving is quite common. Of course the emptied can or bottle goes out the window into the ditch but they don't stay there for long as at 5 cents for a can and 10 cents for a bottle these are collected and returned by totters. There is a cultural element too because in some areas where bottled water is more common those plastic bottles (that don't have a deposit) stay to be chewed up by the machine that trims the verges. The things you notice when cycling eh?
Talking of cultural differences:traveling in Italy in the 60's when the United States still had a huge military presence you could tell when you were approaching a camp because the ditches either side of the road were filled with litter.

DRHysted

Guru
Might be an urban legend but best story I heard was cyclists throwing discarded lit fag butts back into the car from whence they came...bit of a fire hazard but may think twice. I had some girl sling one out as I was passing - she was very apologetic when I shouted at her!

Not a myth, I've done this from a motorcycle.

tyred

Legendary Member
I had a lovely ride through the New Forest today, fantastic scenery and lovely undulating roads. In the middle of nowhere we came across an abandoned sofa and a roll of carpet. There is no punishment too severe for these sub-humans!!!

Excellent. Something comfortable to sit on to rest my weary legs. I demand more sofas on roadside verges.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I rode the Thetford Challenge on Sunday and only saw one gel wrapper. I was most impressed. There were 2 or 3 banana skins slung in the verge but they are bio-degradable. Still litter but as I spat a cherry pip out on the verge yesterday I guess I am guilty of fruit littering too.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I said "you dropped something" to a passenger in a car that passed me, then all the litter of the day started coming out the window. I caught up with them and said "what would your mums say?"*, and they all sheepishly apologised.

*I had also threatened them physically if I ever saw them doing anything like it again.

Top Bottom