Felt ? Jamis ?? Help please !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Anyone ridden Felt or Jamis ?

I'm in the market for a new bike :wacko:, mainly for longer day rides (possibly Audax), sportives (I hope) and generally 'best bike', not commuter/tourer. I'm more for comfort than speed, so prefer the idea of the sportive-type 'non-racing' position; thinking compact and Shimano 105. Budget around £800. I'm 6ft 3 in tall, with an inside leg (to ground) of ±36 ins, weight a reasonable 12-13 st.

I was impressed by the C+ report of the Felt Z35 - but it's over budget.:evil: Does anyone have any experience of Z series Felt road bikes, especially the Z65/70 ? Do they have the same frame geometry as the Z35 but being in alu rather than carbon ?

I've also seen the Jamis Quest but know very little about Jamis. Anyone know anything about them ? Anyone got one of their bikes ? The Quest is steel framed too - would this be better than alu or carbon for my purposes ? Anyone have any experience of BuyaBikeDirect ?

Is it possible to tell, from the frame geometry, if a bike is more race- or sportive- orientated ?

So many questions ... so many wise and experienced heads out there :smile:

Many thanks in advance for all responses :tongue:

kyuss

Veteran
Jamis are very well known and respected in the States. I spotted that Quest myself a few weeks back and if I'd had £700 to splash out on another bike, I'd have had one on the spot. I think £700 for a 631 frame and Ultegra/105 groupset seems like pretty good VFM to me.

Out of the two the Jamis seems to be the sportier geometry wise but there's not much in it. I guess you need to ask yourself would you prefer steel or aluminium. Steel does have a reputation for comfort and I don't thinks it's a coincidence that a lot of audax and touring bikes are still made in steel.

If you get the Jamis can I get a shot? :smile:

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
kyuss said:
Jamis are very well known and respected in the States. I spotted that Quest myself a few weeks back and if I'd had £700 to splash out on another bike, I'd have had one on the spot. I think £700 for a 631 frame and Ultegra/105 groupset seems like pretty good VFM to me.

Out of the two the Jamis seems to be the sportier geometry wise but there's not much in it. I guess you need to ask yourself would you prefer steel or aluminium. Steel does have a reputation for comfort and I don't thinks it's a coincidence that a lot of audax and touring bikes are still made in steel.
Thanks for this.
By sportier geometry wise, do you mean it's more for sportive or more for race ? ie is it more for comfort rather than speed ? The Felt was highly rated by C+ as a comfortable, fast all-day cruiser - just what I'm after. Is the Quest more comfy or more fast, would you reckon ?

I personally wouldn't buy a Alu frame. But thats just old school me !

I have a Jamis 853 for my training bike - excellent.

I also have a Jamis Quest frame ready and waiting to be built up this winter for my Audax bike for next year. If it's anything like the 853 (and as far as I can tell its the same geometry but with mudguard eyes and maybe just a little less stiff as its 631) it will be a cracker.

The Quest will be a comforatble all day bike as it has a reasonably longish wheelbase (41.5 cm chainstays help - most race bikes have < 41cm chainsatys). It's 'sportry' in the sense that it won't be as 'sluggish' as a out an out tourer (which will have even lomger chainstays and longer wheelbase for loaded touring eg a Dawes Galaxy).

I'd go for the Quest.

aserota

Über Member
I was in a similar situation regards budget when i was looking for a road bike about 4 months ago.

I am 6ft 2" and was looking at 58cm frames. I had tried many bikes, mostly treks but saw a 'Trigon' bike on ebay which i eventually went for.

It is has a full carbon fibre frame, forks and wheels (replaced with alus for commuting). I paid just over £1k for it second hand, but i feel the carbon frame is definitely worth the extra over an alu frame.

I would highly recommend any trigon frame from my experience, but they are quite rare. Fantastic build quality and an aggressive riding position.

kyuss

Veteran
scoosh said:
... and can I have a shot of your (recently acquired) Bowery ? :smile:

Aye, nae bother. Give me a shout if you see me round town, I'm the fat bald guy with a huge bright red Chrome messenger bag.:biggrin:

scoosh said:
Thanks for this.
By sportier geometry wise, do you mean it's more for sportive or more for race? ie is it more for comfort rather than speed ? The Felt was highly rated by C+ as a comfortable, fast all-day cruiser - just what I'm after. Is the Quest more comfy or more fast, would you reckon ?

I meant that the shorter head tube and smaller fork rake and wheelbase of the Jamis would be likely to produce more inspiring, less ponderous handling than the Felt. I think the fact it's a steel bike marketed as "ideal for century riders" will mean it's pretty comfortable assuming you can get it set up with a good position, but while it's not a full on race bike it still has the kind of geometry that will produce handling that IMO makes a bike fun.

kyuss

Veteran
aserota said:
I am 6ft 2" and was looking at 58cm frames. I had tried many bikes, mostly treks but saw a 'Trigon' bike on ebay which i eventually went for.

I've got a Prorace Styx carbon sportive frame, which is made by Trigon. Very comfortable. Actually, what size are you Scoosh.:smile:

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
itisaboutthebike - thanks for explaining a subtlety of chainstay and wheelbase sizes - just what I am after :smile:. Also interesting to have a good report of Jamis bikes/frames.

Did you get the bike/frame from BuyaBikeDirect ? What are/were they like to deal with ?

kyuss - again, spot on with the geometry explanations. :smile: I feel I'm back at school and learning fast !

Give me a shout if you see me round town, I'm the fat bald guy with a huge bright red Chrome messenger bag.
err ... which one ?? :wacko:

Actually, what size are you Scoosh
A wee bit taller than you - but I'm not sure I can help you dispose of your bikes, frames etc etc :biggrin:

No one seems to have experience of the Felt. Interesting or what ;):?:;)

Hi Scoosh.

I got both my Jamis frames 2nd hand off Fleabay - directly from the States.

Both were a bargain (the 631 is virtually brand new and came with full carbon Easton forks - for the princely sum of £150 ! And the paint work is beautiful bright metallic blue ).

Not sure where buy a bike direct are, but mite be worth giving them a ring to set what set up they do prior to shipping etc and whether they're prepared to change stuff (ege stem length) that may not be right for you with the supplied size (if you know what stem length you need that is - they may be able to reccomend what ;ength you need).

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
itisaboutthebike said:
Both were a bargain (the 631 is virtually brand new and came with full carbon Easton forks - for the princely sum of £150 ! And the paint work is beautiful bright metallic blue ).

Not sure where buy a bike direct are, but mite be worth giving them a ring to set what set up they do prior to shipping etc and whether they're prepared to change stuff (ege stem length) that may not be right for you with the supplied size (if you know what stem length you need that is - they may be able to reccomend what ;ength you need).
Great deals ! Well Done !
[tries to hide envy]

I'm working my way through Peter White's Bike Fitting Guide and should soon have the details I need to be able to talk to someone at BuyaBikeDirect without sounding like a total plonker. :rofl:
They're at Charnock Richard - which is a bit far from Edinburgh for a "maybe purchase" trip :biggrin:

Thanks for your input. Appreciated :biggrin:

Top Bottom