Female Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
And how about solo women cyclists

And cycle tourers particularly??

Apparently they are far more common on the continent, but not so much here.

I've seen a few, but maybe two or three a year, and this is a holiday area??

chocsaway

Though a lot less than it used to be in my experience. Specialized in Harrogate are particularly good at not doing that - I tend to find it more of a thing in smaller shops and with older shop workers.

‘Quinns’ on Edge Lane, Liverpool are also absolutely brilliant. I’ve bought both of my Specialized ‘gleam machines’ from the very helpful boys there (a Tricross Sport & a Tarmac road bike) Fantastic practical advice from Steve & Andy. No patronising guff about ‘ladies pastel coloured bikes’ etc. just clear, accurate info on inside leg length, women specific saddles (obvs.) & possibility of extension handle bar element to accommodate variable male/female arm/back length. I wouldn’t go anywhere else. Thanks boys!

chocsaway

Definition of a woman's bike as described by most of the trade - "The smallest frame we've got and it's pink".

I know, it’s soooooo patronising! I’m only 5’6” but have long legs (thanks dad!), so ‘women's frames are too small. I’m not remotely interested in pastel tones, I just want a beautifully enginered machine that’ll go like the clappers!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I know, it’s soooooo patronising! I’m only 5’6” but have long legs (thanks dad!), so ‘women's frames are too small. I’m not remotely interested in pastel tones, I just want a beautifully enginered machine that’ll go like the clappers!

Here you go - seriously nice!

https://www.cannondale.com/en/Inter...etail?Id=ea7bd0d3-4f3a-4700-aac6-93b7551cb750

NEO.png

Sharky

Guru
You said that we all share a fear of traffic. I pointed out that that isn't true - for instance I'm not afraid of traffic. I've not done as much riding as I'd like recently, but when I do it's usually in London and rural England. On the other hand I've been unafraid of traffic whether I'm riding on my usual roads or others, at all times of the day or night.

Three observations. First, when I learned that most drivers really don't want to hurt you I started enjoying my riding much more. Second, my observation is that people who report being afraid of traffic report far more near misses and crashes (see post above). So I suspect there's a bit of a distorted perception.

Third, and most importantly in the context of new rider encouragement, telling everyone how unpleasant and dangerous your pastime or mode of transport is isn't the best way of getting new people to do it - especially people who might be risk averse.

Of all the risks that might endanger a cyclist, cars and motorists are not very high on my list. My biggest concerns is that of taking a spill from poor road surfaces (gravel, -ve camber, black ice, pot holes), miss reading corners, clipless pedals etc. Have had a few near-misses, but they were all misses which may make you a bit irate, but in reality did not harm me. Experience on the road and learning how to read traffic flow is the best preventative action. In over 50 years, which includes commuting into London in the days when cycle/bus lanes did not exist, I've only had one incident which included a car, although the latter one was a serious one, but have had more than a dozen of those "minor" spills and some of these resulted in broken bones.

Black ice is currently no 1 on my risk list

But nothing ever puts me off from getting back out there.

Top Bottom